New here HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover1234

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I just got a 46 gallon tank. I've had it for 3 weeks. I have a 2 inch Oscar, 3-1.5 inch Red Blood Parrot fish, 1-1.5 inch chocolate zebra pleco, 1-1.5 blue lobster.

My fish seem happy but I took a water sample to the pet store just to ensure everything was still good and I was told the alkaline levels were just a bit low.

I added aquarium salt and now my NITRITES are off the charts! The water looks cloudy too. I don't want my fish to die! I replaced 8 gallons of water yesterday and re tested and still high. I replaced another 8 gallons today and still high. I just put a solution 24 hours ago to regulate nitrates and still high! And the water still cloudy.

Filtered got replaced because it was so green yesterday. I have all live plants. Help! Nitrites won't go down and water is cloudy. Could it be salts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of the problem is your tank is still Cycling. 3 weeks is very new.

Can you post a pic of the tank ?

Long term this is not a good mix of fish.

The Oscar will kill the Crayfish ( true Lobsters are Saltwater only).

The Crayfish may kill the Pleco if the Oscar doesn't.
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=232

Crayfish are predatory and will kill any fish they can catch.

Oscars need 50g or larger and get very territorial.

BPF often have deformities and cannot compete or defend themselves from an Oscar IME

https://www.thespruce.com/hoplarchus-psittacus-1378430

I hope you can get the water sorted. I would not be adding salt.

Make sure there are multiple hiding places for the Crayfish and Pleco.

Have you heard of the nitrogen cycle and how it works?

Test your tap water. Set some aside and retest in 24 hours.

Retest the tank water.

Keep changing water daily till Nitrates down to 40 and Nitrites and Ammonia at Zero.

Someone correct me if those numbers are unrealistic.

I'd pick which fish or Crayfish is your favorite and then return the others , then rebuild the stock around them.

The Parrots and Pleco might be ok together. Both like 80°F Water.

Thank you all. I replaced another 8 gallons last night. I let the water sit outside to room temperature with the solutions I've always used for total of 3 hours. I replaced 8 gallons from the tank and put in the new water. All fish are alive this morning, including 5 of the original gold fish I bought to test the water almost a month ago. I ran a test today and it is not much better [emoji29]

I am trying to add a picture to this post but it says I can't because pictures are disabled for this forum

Thank you all. I replaced another 8 gallons last night. I let the water sit outside to room temperature with the solutions I've always used for total of 3 hours. I replaced 8 gallons from the tank and put in the new water. All fish are alive this morning, including 5 of the original gold fish I bought to test the water almost a month ago. I ran a test today and it is not much better [emoji29]

What temp is the Tank ?

You must get the Goldfish OUT of your tank. They are very messy on top of a messy Oscar.

Goldfish are no heater and need Ponds. Return or rehome the GF. Or buy a big sturdy bin and read up on DIY indoor ponds.

Parrots AND your Pleco require 80°F water.
The Oscar needs tropical temps as well. 76-78°F at least I believe. Adults can handle a wider range.

You want to match the temp of the new water to the temperature of the tank, or at least somewhat close.

You need to change 1/2 the tank water at least.

20 gallons.

Return the GF. Return the extra non compatible fish/invert. Keep your Favorite(s) that are compatible.

The tank is too new to handle such a big bioload.

Do you have a tank heater ?

What kind of filter are you running ?

Please post a pic when you can.

Here are the pics

Attachments

• IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 62
Filter wise I have a Penguin 200 for 50 gallons (my tank is 46). I keep the water temperature at 79 degrees. I bought the goldfish to test the water first and to ensure they wouldn't die before I got my other fish. My Oscar and 3 parrot fish prefer ghost shrimp to eat than goldfish. And my blue lobster has a hard time catching them. I got them thinking they would test my water and then they would be food for my parrot fish, Oscar and lobster and they have all become friends now. 3 weeks now

But I am doing somethywrong because my water seems cloudy and my nitrates are off the charts!
I don't know what to do with the gold fish. The store won't take them back and I only have one fish tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 53
Here is my blue lobster and my chocolate zebra planco

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 44
I also added the a long bubble stone for extra oxygen. I really want to make this fish tank work to have happy fish. But I just can't pinpoint what I am doing wrong to have the water so cloudy and the nitrites so high

IMHO you have two large issues....

1. Your tank has a mismatched stocking, many species aren't compatible with each other or require different conditions. These have been brought to your attention, listen as they will get worse as your fish mature.

2.Your tank is still cycling.
The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom, they're common in a cycling tank. Nitrites spike is because in a cycle the ammonia converting bacteria forms, followed by a nitrite converting bacteria. Nitrites spike because the ammonia has been converted to nitrites and is waiting for the bacteria to form that converts it to less harmful nitrates.

If you take the goldfish back in a container/bag, and tell them you are returning them, and they say no, leave them there. I work retail, they won't fight you about it. And yeah, please listen to the others, you are way overstocked with mismatched fish. Return the goldfish and oscar, oscar will definitely outgrow that tank and fast too.

Filter wise I have a Penguin 200 for 50 gallons (my tank is 46). I keep the water temperature at 79 degrees. I bought the goldfish to test the water first and to ensure they wouldn't die before I got my other fish. My Oscar and 3 parrot fish prefer ghost shrimp to eat than goldfish. And my blue lobster has a hard time catching them. I got them thinking they would test my water and then they would be food for my parrot fish, Oscar and lobster and they have all become friends now. 3 weeks now

Feeder Fish are a crappy diet. Good way to get disease or parasites in your tank as well.

Parrot Fish can barely eat Flakes and Pellets. As a man made hybrid they often have deformed mouths.

Feed a good diet.
I like Omega One foods. Appropriate sized Pellets and sinking food for the Cray.

Goldfish need plant based foods.

Ghost Shrimp are NOT a balanced diet and if you teach your fish to only eat live you'll regret it I believe.

Please pick a favorite and change out your stock.

If it's the Oscar ? Look at buying a 75g or something that will hold an adult.

Your filter ? Typically for messy fish like Oscars and GF try to get a filter rated for 4-10x volume of tank.

So something rated for 200g. A Canister filter is common for GF and Oscars.

Plan on daily WC for now till you can rehome stuff.

Your Water chemistry will prob be a bit crazy.

They aren't "friends". They are baby fish that haven't hit breeding size yet.
They haven't killed each other YET.

I've managed Pet Stores before. I've had tanks for about 40yrs now. I still learn new things every day.

I'm not an "expert". But I drink and I know things !

Have a great day. Please read up and research each of your fish.

Long term compatibility is more than just a few weeks. Oscars, Plecos and GF live for a long time IF they thrive in good set ups.

Plecos can hit 20yrs
GF can hit over 20yrs. Record is 37yrs (?)
Oscars can go 10-13yrs

Think about that [emoji1360]

Thank you so very much. Truly appreciate your advice. I now know what I need to do.

Back
Top Bottom