New here with a cycling/ ammonia question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kwenbee said:
How is that ammonia level in your tank, Linsay?

Still incredibly high - reading 8, but as you said if it was truly 8 I'd have dead fish. I guess what I am more frustrated with in the fact that my nitrites are not going up at all - heck with all this ammonia you'd think we'd have to start cycling some!!!

Just a FYI Linsay, but the converted ammonia (the stuff thats been changed to nontoxic ammonium by the Ammolock) isn't as readily eaten by the bacteria; that may be why things slowed down *sigh*

Ah, that is very good to know! I'm going to have to hide the ammolock (or whatever brand we are using) from my husband. He keeps sneaking it in while I'm at work!! :x

LOL Slap his hands and make HIM do the water changes *grin* Could be worse; I as having ammonia probs a while back in a QT tank. Couldn't figure out why; I water changed regularly, fed the fish very small amounts twice a day. Turned out the hubby was feeding them when I wasn't home - they looked "hungry". Oi!

It took about three weeks for my ammonia level to drop and nitrites to rise, so just be patient and continue the daily water changes. I was beginning to think Alli was nuts...thought that stupid test tube would be green forever. Then, suddenly, it slowly dropped to 0 and almost the next day, the nitrites went up to .50 then 1.0 then 2.0 before dropping back to 0 (then I was sick of a purple testtube!).

Did a test today...0 for both ammonia and nitrites. The new 5 gallon, however had a .25 nitrites, so I think the ammonia will rise soon.

I do have some sort of white, filmy looking skim on the top of the water of the 5 gallon tank. Looks kind of like an oil slick. I washed everything well before I put it in the tank, so no idea what it could be. Only has Bill the Betta and Sugar the cory catfish in it, so I figure the cycle will take a while.

Algae bloom is noticably better. I think because we haven't seen the sun since last Thursday with this wet weather!

One thing you need to trim the brown leaves off of your plant. I have heard that is bad for your fish. The only thing I can think of as far as the fish sucking air is maybe your water isn't aerated enough for them. I would talk to your local Petco fish department for suggestions as well. I still am not an expert and am working on learning more like most other people so I hope these ideas help you. Best wishes.
Cristina

Actually good point precious. While the brown dead leaves aren't dangerous to the fish in and of themselves, they can rot and add to the ammonia levels.

Oh and Kwen? What are you feeding Bill and Sugar? Its possible the skin on the surface is proteins from the fishfoods. Running a papertowel over the top should help absorb it.

Allivymar said:
LOL Slap his hands and make HIM do the water changes *grin*!

That's the thing - HE IS doing the water changes - then he adds the ammolock! (I'm thinking of hiding the bottle) :wink:

Allivymar said:
LOL Slap his hands and make HIM do the water changes *grin* Could be worse; I as having ammonia probs a while back in a QT tank. Couldn't figure out why; I water changed regularly, fed the fish very small amounts twice a day. Turned out the hubby was feeding them when I wasn't home - they looked "hungry". Oi!

Sounds like my wife. She doesn't believe a hungry fish is a healthy fish.

We're feeding Bill those little Betta food pellets...it's the only thing he eats and we fed them to him in the one gallon tank without a problem.

We have been feeding Sugar those quick sink Tetramin pellets and an algae wafer every so often (actually, only one algae wafer so far).

We've used both kinds of foods in the other tanks and never saw this oil slick before. It's really strange...the water is still crystal clear, although I did have ammonia this morning, which I've been waiting for. Did a water change and we're good to go again.

Great news! Algae bloom is gone! I'll take new pictures and post them as soon as I can.

thanks, Chrisina - I did trim the worst of the dead leaves off.
I had turned off my aerator - thinking it might be taking the CO2 from my plants. When I turned it back on the fish went back to normal.

I have that oil slick look on the top of my tank, too! I wonder what it is. We haven't been feeding them too much these days.

Back
Top Bottom