New Hexagonal Aquarium - Suggestions Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arkayz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody. I am pretty new to the aquarium hobby. I have a very simple 5 gallon aquarium that I've been using for the last year which I have enjoyed. It was very simple to setup because it pretty much brought everything that it needed to run, light, filter etc.

However someone just gave me an old acrylic aquarium that is much larger and I would like to get it up and running but not really sure how to do it. The aquarium is a SeaClear 20 Hex, and is 15 inches wide at the top and bottom and 24 inches tall, I'm assuming that makes it about a 20 gallon tank I suppose.

What I need some help with is the following. I know I need a light and filtration but not really sure what to get as this tank came with no hood or anything really except some gravel. All of the lights I've looked at seem to be geared toward rectangular tanks so I'm not really sure where to go from there. It seems like as far as filtration I might want to go with a canister type filter. The tank has three openings at the top which is permanently attached to the rest of the tank, one is 12x5 (for the light I suppose) or so and the another is 8x2 (for the filter?) and the last is 2x1.5 which I am assuming is for routing tubes and such. I can't get my head around how to attach a light that is not specifically made for this thing. Or what kind of filter and pump to get.

Beyond that I have not even thought about what kind of fish and such to put in the tank, I do know it's going to be freshwater as it looks like a saltwater tank is a lot more work and money and I don't want to jump into the deep end without getting my feet wet first. Right now I just want to figure out how and what to buy to get this thing up to speed so the fish enjoy it.

I've attached pictures of the tank. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 2013-10-31 12.52.42.jpg
    2013-10-31 12.52.42.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 2013-10-31 12.52.49.jpg
    2013-10-31 12.52.49.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 2013-10-31 12.52.58.jpg
    2013-10-31 12.52.58.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 74
I'd look on the manufacturer website. You may be able to find a dealer who has returns that the company will not take back. You can get everything that way.

I was thinking about getting the Penn Plax Cascade 700 GPH Canister Filter. But the price difference changed my mind, I dunno if I need something that powerful or not. Thanks for the tips. I am still unsure about the lights and I keep going back and forth on what light to get. I am really debating between these two lights. Only because I don't know if the light you recommended is going to be not bright enough, especially if I decide to put some live plants in there, but then again I don't know if these are bright enough to support live plants either.

Marineland ML Double Bright LED Light, 18-Inch to 24-Inch
Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 18 to 24-Inch

Heater:
Aqueon 06108 Pro Heaters Submersible Aquarium Heater, 200-Watt

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

I was thinking about getting the Penn Plax Cascade 700 GPH Canister Filter. But the price difference changed my mind, I dunno if I need something that powerful or not. Thanks for the tips. I am still unsure about the lights and I keep going back and forth on what light to get. I am really debating between these two lights. Only because I don't know if the light you recommended is going to be not bright enough, especially if I decide to put some live plants in there, but then again I don't know if these are bright enough to support live plants either.

Marineland ML Double Bright LED Light, 18-Inch to 24-Inch
Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 18 to 24-Inch

Heater:
Aqueon 06108 Pro Heaters Submersible Aquarium Heater, 200-Watt

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

hmm..ok..planted. the double brights should support low lighting plants..see if you cant find a nice T5 lighting fixture

Unfortunately the Marina filter ended up being too wide for the tank, the outflow fits fine but it's too wide for the intake to fit or vice versa.

Unfortunately the Marina filter ended up being too wide for the tank, the outflow fits fine but it's too wide for the intake to fit or vice versa.

you know, if that lid is giving you that much of a problem you could go open top!..maybe some lilly pads on the top if you set it up right?

Unfortunately the top is siliconed to the rest of the tank otherwise I would go that route. One thing I've found looking for a similar filter is that none of the manufacturers seem to list dimensions for these filters. Amazon has dimensions but it's hard to tell which dimension is which, and the opening on the top of the tank for the filter is only 8 inches wide. I'm really leaning toward the canister at this point because I'm tired of looking at filters.

With a hex tank like that you're really limited in the kinds of fish you can keep. I'd limit it to a Betta and some nice shrimp. Maybe a rabbit snail.

Ii would just cut the silicone..or if your handy you could dremel out the hole maybe? I have a filter on one of my tanks rated for 5-15 gallons and its only about 5 inches wide..its from Walmart..tetra I believe maybe you can check them out

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131108_160835.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131108_160835.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 57
Yea I went with the Marineland doublebright LED light, its a bit long but will definitely work, I had to buy a piece of plastic to put between the light and the tank because the light sits flush with the tank and I didn't want it getting wet by accident, definitely lights up the tank well.

As for the filter I finally got a Aquaclear 50 power filter that fits the tank perfectly, I made the mistake of ordering a used version on Amazon and it was missing accessories so I had to return it and order another one which will not be here until next week.

Now I just have to decide if I am going to put plants and what kind of fish to put in there, as well as decorations, I want something tall to put in the middle of the tank because the tank can be seen from all sides.

Getting there slowly but surely. :) I will try to post pictures on Monday.

I just seen a cool decoration at pet smart that would be perfect..especially if you wanna do some plants in there around it..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131115_225844.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131115_225844.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom