New In wall tank build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeWidd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys new to the site today. I'm in the middle of a remodel and have deceided to add a wall in my living room and put a freshwater tank in it. It will be viewable from both sides. I'm a carpenter by trade so I have the skills for the build.

What I'll need help with is the tank itself. I've had a few in the past, but from reading the threads posted here. I guess I never knew there was so much more involved than just adding water and fish. I'm leaning towards a 55 gallon.

Can I get some advice on the rest of what I'll need eg: pump, heater, filter, lights etc...I would like to keep it economical. Not the absolute best but not junk either. I understand that some things are just worth the money period. but since I'm in start up mode I'd like to go slow.

I''l post pics of my build when it's complete. I look forward to your help.

Thank's Mike

subscribed!
excited to see your progress and the tank as it goes along!

I'm here too! As soon as you have specific questions, let us know :D

Thanks for the replies already. I wasn't expecting that. But now with finding this site my OCD has kicked into full gear.

I said earlier i was leaning toward a 55- 65 gallon tank. It's actually going to depend more on the width than anything else. I have a few questions first.

Pre bundled setup OR Buy it buy the piece?
Would 2 smaller heaters evenly spaced be better than 1 large one?
Would 2 smaller filters evenly spaced be better than 1 large one?
Sand or Gravel?
Pros and cons of live plants and rock VS. Fake?

Does anyone have an opinion about this setup...Marineland® BioWheel® LED Aquarium Kit - Fish - Sale - PetSmart

for a tank that size one heater would be okay, i really like my aquaeon heater. for filters a aquaclear 110 would be perfect for an aquarium in that size range. i highly recomened them. i like sand as a substrate, it is easier to clean, and food will not get stuck down in the rocks. for plants, i like live, it makes the tank look more natural, and it has its benefits to the aqurium too. i think amazon.com is one of the cheapest places to get the heater and filter. i got my filter with free shipping, and saved a total of $50, by ordering on amazon. im pretty sure that there is still free shipping.
hope this helps ( if ignore my spelling and grammar it is terrible lol)

I looked at that setup at petsmart and If I remember correctly the filter is under powered for the tank. You could get it and add another filter.

I'm having a hard time posting pics. I created an album but when I try to copy and paste the URL I'm getting an error code.

It's safer with two heaters, if one fails the other can stop major drops, I've got two 300 watts, in a high flow area, in my 76gallons. The power usage is the same really, as they are on for shorter times.

60006-albums9177-picture35770.jpg

Pre bundled setup OR Buy it buy the piece?

My experience with buying a prebundled aquarium wasn't so good. I ended up buying another filter and replacing the light. The light was ok, but not great for plants. I have heard that LEDs are not good for growing plants if that's what you want to do. I'm not saying don't get the bundle, I'm just saying do your research/ask others on here before you do so.

Also you were discussing whether to get a 55g or 65g I believe. I'm pretty sure a 65g is just a couple inches taller than the 55g. For the most part I don't like taller aquariums, because there is often just empty space up top. I suppose it depends on what you put in the tank/what fish you get, but just my two pennies.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. In the past month I have acquired a 55 gallon and a 40 high for 50 dollars. And a complete 55 gallon with everything included for 25 dollars. right now I'm just trying to put the rest together. light filters pumps, etc..

Waiting for a few things to show up in the mail. And some more money for drywall, Then it's on.
60006-albums9177-picture36634.jpg

Back
Top Bottom