Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New - Looking for fish advice for a 36 Gallon Bowfront

Hi there, everyone. I have always wanted an aquarium and have just purchased a 36 gallon bowfront, stand, and essential hardware (hood, heater, filter, pump, thermometer), water conditioners, gravel, and a few plants. I've also bought two books (and read them) and done a good deal of online research. I want a variety of fish in a community setting and BELIEVE that I'm most interested in Platies, Gupplies, Swordtails, Tetras, Danios, Cory or Whiptail Catfish, Rasboras, and maybe an Angelfish. Everything I've read seems to indicate these folks can live together and will keep things active on all levels oft the tank...but I want to get some "real" perspective on that AND to know how many of each I should get and whether I can even have them all given the tank size. I am NOT married to any of them, so truly looking for the best mix for variety. I'd kinda like to get a fresh water clam or two, snails, and maybe a dwarf frog too, so knowing compatibility there would be helpful also.

Thank you for any insight you can share!

Newbie in Allentown, PA

Old 06-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only thing about danios corys tetras and the rasboras are that they are schooling fish, so you'd need a decent group, at least 5 or so, for them to be happy. With adequate biological filtration you could get a few of everything! Except anglefish. They get pretty big and in my opinion should be kept in a species only tank. As far as snails, i would get something that cant breed in your aquarium or you'll end up with a snail tank, nerite snails, i think theyre called, would be great

Old 06-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you!

Thank you for the insight - after more reading, I think you're right about the angelfish and think I'll start with a larger variety (by start I mean cycle, add platies and go from there one species at a time to build the full community).

If you think of any other advice, feel free to share!

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Have a fantastic day,

kpit
Old 06-27-2019, 03:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Personally i love live bearers. If you added some live plants, or even plastic ones, and maybe some plattys guppies and swordtails, you could do a live bearer tank. I would start with three each, two females and one male, and after a while they will repopulate and fill up your tank. They are absolutely interesting to watch and the fry are fun to raise. You can either seperate the fry and grow them out or let nature take its course. Either way its pretty cool to watch
Old 07-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Okay, so I'm getting mixed answers from the local fish folks...when calculating bio load (in regard to number of fish total), I'm being told by one "expert" that corys, otos, clams, and dwarf frogs do NOT count because they are bottom dwellers. What is your opinion on this one?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What does he mean they don't count?
Old 07-02-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

She says that they should not be counted in number of inches calculation to determine how many fish the tank can support.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No one should use the inch per gallon rule period. And yes, they absolutely do matter. Overcrowding causes stress/disease, aggression and a large bioload which equals poor water quality. Poor water causes disease and death. Some fish need more room even if their size seems ok. There's a lot to be said in having knowledge about the particular fish you keep.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea, it all really does depend on what species you want to keep. I would start there and then decided how many fish you can add safely. The inch per gallon is a very rough estimate used to determine only the very basic and common types of fish. Like someone else said, the fish might be fairly small but require a lot of swimming room.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpit View Post
Okay, so I'm getting mixed answers from the local fish folks...when calculating bio load (in regard to number of fish total), I'm being told by one "expert" that corys, otos, clams, and dwarf frogs do NOT count because they are bottom dwellers. What is your opinion on this one?
I can't honestly believe that anyone who is an expert would legitimately believe that bottom dwellers don't contribute to bioload. That's really upsetting. My LFS used to discourage people from buying fish if they didn't have a proper sized tank, but now they'll sell anything to anyone.

It's unfortunate, but whenever expert stocking advice comes from someone who's income relies on selling fish, you really can't trust it.

Tags
36 gallon, 6 gallon, advice, bowfront, fish, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com