The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDL2013

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys im new to this forum but not totally new to the hobby of fish keeping. Im currently working on setting up a new Oscar tank... And browsing forums and other websites i came across this forum so i hope yall can help me out.

I've currently have a 55 gallon cycling im using 2 aqua tech 30-60 hob filters, one of which i took off my well established 30 gallon tropical tank. ( i decided to give all the fish in the 30 to friend who just finished cycling his own 45 gallon tank so i could use the filter to speed up the cycling process on my 55gallon. Now! Before anyone says anything i know that oscars arnt ment to go in a 55 gallon but im buying my oscars small around 2.5 inches and will use the 55gallon for growing them out till i get my grandfathers 125 gallon in November after all his estate matters are settled.

Hey guys im new to this forum but not totally new to the hobby of fish keeping. Im currently working on setting up a new Oscar tank... And browsing forums and other websites i came across this forum so i hope yall can help me out.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with oscars. All I know is that they are big and aggressive, but everyone knows that. I am interested in seeing how it goes though!

Well i dosed to 4ppm ammonia last night and i really think that filter from the tropical tank is working great cause im under 1ppm now and its only been 15 hours

Ammonia cycled down to about .5ppm from 4ppm so i did a water change to get it down to zero and then i dosed back up to 4ppm.

If your ammo is dropping this quickly make sure your testing your nitrites, ammo is quick to go away nitrites take a little longer they'll rise quickly and may stay high you may have to do a big water change to get them down to a manageable level till the nitrite BB catches up to it

Dosed to 4ppm last night and i just got checking the levels
Ph 7.6
Ammonia- between 0.5 - 1
NiTrites- between 3-4
Nitrates 40

I'd recommend just test your water every 24 hours. I know it's nice to see what is doing but you don't want to add ammo just because it's dropping any more than once every 24 hours. Just be patient add your ammo test it make sure you got your ppm right than let it be. With that said if and when your nitrites get to 5 or 5+ if they stay there for a couple days let us know. If they stay where there at doubtful but if they do for a couple days let us know if they start to drop just keep us posted. That's good though you have nitrates already cycle moving along good. Have you tested your tap water yet is helpful to give a base line on your levels to see what the tank is doing.

Its not necessary to do a wster change to get ammo to 0 than get it back to 4 just add what is needed to get it back up to 4. Save your water for when your nitrites get stuck and we need to get them down

Tested my water tonight
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 5+
Nitrate 40-50

That's what I was talking about. You have 2 options. 1 don't do anything tonight test tomorrow see if your nitrites go down tomorrow or the day after if they don't type going to be doing some big back to back water changes to get them down to 1ppm or less. 2 don't wait because there probably not going to drop and do your water changes now or in the morning if you don't feel like doing it now. When I say big wc I mean big like 75% or more. Don't forget your water conditioner wait an hour or 2 more on the 2 side retest your nitrites they'll still be high and do anther wc wait retest and you still may have to do another. Once you get it to 1ppm or less don't add any ammo get your readings for all wait 24hrs retest let us know where your at.

Ok that's the best thing to do no reason to wait. Just be prepared to do a couple of not 3 of them back to back remember to wait b4 you test and do the next 1

Think of the bacteria for your nitrites as a baby. If you put to much food in its mouth at once it just spits it all back out same thing here just to much nitrite to handle right now it needs to grow still its there that's why your nitrates have risen just not all there yet be patient with it for me after I reached this point 9 days later I had 21 fish in my tank

With these big water changes remember to turn your filters of for 15 20 minutes b4 toy turn them back on ley your conditioner work on the chlorine a little bit

Just did a 80% WC shut the filters off for 20 minites so the dechlorinater could do its thing now im turning the filters back on.

Tested my water

Ph: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 2-3
Nitrate: 20

Back
Top Bottom