New member got a 25 gallon tank for the kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olegdulin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I was my daughter's age, around 7 or 8, I had a fishtank with a bunch of guppies.

My daughter now wants one too. The kid read a book on caring for fish and is excited about it.

I bought a 25 gallon tank with a stand at petsmart yesterday and today we are going to strt setting it up.

I am freaking out about how much weight can 3/16inch glass really hold. 25 gallons of water plus rocks, substrate, plants, etc.

Should I be ?

It should be just fine!! If you're concerned about big rocks you can place foam egg crate under the substrate to cushion the rocks!!

What amazes me is what is holding the tank together ? It just looks so fragile and yet it is supposed to hold almost 200 lbs worth of stuff...

Thanks for your advise. I know about cycling the tank before introducing fish, my daughter has a book and we went over it.

You may still want to read up on cycling

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If she's interested in more books, I have one by an author Boruchowitz that has several stocking schemes for a 29 gallon for beginners. Published 2001 so it's probably available on Abe books website cheap.

So I did some math. A 25 gallon tank is supposed to have 200 lbs of water plus rocks. That just terrifies me.

Don't worry about the tank holding as long as it's new. Tanks never give out or break unless they are super old or something on the outside crashes into it.

Yeah it is brand new. Well, we filled it up, put the heater and filter in, substrate and gravel. We are working on cycling it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397144341.979447.jpg

Almost ready for fish. Plants came today.

Yeah , when I was a kid I used to have a 60 liter tank with lots of lush plants, so I wanted to recreate that

Wow, tank looks really good! And yes, the tank will hold the water just fine :) It's a little scary to think about, that's a lot of water after all! But it will hold no worries :) If you feel your kids might jump on it, or knock it over, consider anchoring it to the wall. But yes, that's over 200 pounds and would be very hard for a child to do that.

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

In the background are cabombas and Vesuvius. Some moss balls in the front .

Well, one of our guppies gave birth - we have a couple of small fry in the cabombas hiding from the adults. Very cute :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom