New member with a 10G.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacob9799

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

My name is Jacob. I am a high school senior in a small town in Alabama. The only LFS's i know of are Wal-mart, Petsmart, and Pet Co.

The past several weeks, i have been heavily researching how to set up and run a quality freshwater aquarium. I have had tanks when i was younger, to different (usually low) levels of success. Needless to say, i have learned a TON!! I kinda feel bad about how those fish i had were living! but never again!! not on my watch, haha!

Yesterday I finally broke down and bought a aquarium kit from Wal-mart and most of the supplies I will need.

I started a journal to keep things somewhat scientific, and to help me keep track of changes and things of that nature.

Budget being an issue, it will be a while before i get fish, which I had sort of planned.

list of supplies
aquarium kit- filter (bio media, charcoal secondary filter), hood with 2 incandescant 15W bulbs, 10g tank.
Start Right
Start zyme
10 pounds of small size gravel for substrate
"digital thermometer" (the stick on tank kind. definitely NOT digital. haha!)
4 dwarf lily bulbs
1 terra cotta pot (i think i finger painted it in kindergarden. for use as a hiding spot)
1 marble dolphin sculpture my sister bought in cancun in 2002 ish

I have tried to do everything by the directions. Youll see on the journal I added 2 tbsp of table salt. Since iodine is very close to chlorine, the water conditioners I used SHOULD take any iodine away especially by the time i get fish.

10/29
6:15 PM--- 10 #/ gravel +9.5 G H20
6:25 --- 1 TSP Start Right
6:27 --- Start Zyme
6:34 --- Placed 4 Dwarf Lily’s, dolphin, pot.
7:15 --- 2 TBSP table salt.
7:30 --- water temp: 85*
8:20 --- WT 84*
10:30 ---- WT 83*
10/30
9:45 AM--- WT 81* turned hood lights on
11:30 --- WT 82*
9:45pm ---WT 81*

***tomorrow, i will start a fishless cycle to setup the bio environment.
things to buy:
Heater???
water test kits
REAL digital thermometer

questions:

How will the marble dolphin and terra cotta pot affect the water's chemical structure?

THE FUTURE OF MY TANK:

I will buy/make a few more hiding spots... the tank seems bare.

If i need a heater, i am thinking about the Hydor Hydrokable..... any ideas/pointers? I like that it is pretty much invisible and will distribute heat evenly.
tank was set up last night, temp has held consistent around 81-83*

Maybe some kind of bottom carpet plant, like 2 or 3 palm sized patches. maybe java moss or similar

FISH!!!!

1-2 panda Corys
5-7 neon or cardinal tetras
3 female guppies(of different varieties)
1 male guppy
a few ghost shrimp

again, I am open to ANY AND ALL suggestions, criticism, feedback, and questions... I don't mind explaining why i did(n't do) something. This is a learning process for me and my goal is to be like a sponge and soak it all up!!!

I will post pictures in just a minute!!:fish2:

+1 for the information above, research and patience is key!
Also that dolphin there, I got a set of them when visiting my hometown in Mexico and I added one in my tank too. I don't know if "marble" is supposed to do that, but it turned rough and white. It was not smooth and shiny anymore, and it doesn't go away that's the way it is. I don't know if it is the same kind but mine was the exact same one, it did wonders with my parameters. I would remove it from the tank just incase though :)

+1 for the information above, research and patience is key!
Also that dolphin there, I got a set of them when visiting my hometown in Mexico and I added one in my tank too. I don't know if "marble" is supposed to do that, but it turned rough and white. It was not smooth and shiny anymore, and it doesn't go away that's the way it is. I don't know if it is the same kind but mine was the exact same one, it did wonders with my parameters. I would remove it from the tank just incase though :)

well dang!! im gonna keep an eye on it, because it is a keepsake and i do not want to ruin it, but it sure does look neat!!

and thanks guys! im gonna get ammonia and a test kit after classes today:banghead:,(school sucks! haha) and start that process. I think ill wait till mid week to even start testing for nitrites nitrates.

Welcome to the site. I am glad you are planning carefully. Good to hear.
I am going to make a note that I DO NOT recommend using that terra cotta pot in the tank. The paint on it could easily be toxic to the fish.
Also, I would recommend pymgy corys, not panda. Pygmys (there are 3 types) only reach an inch and are the only corys I would recommend for a 10g tank. :) Also, corys should be in groups of at least 4 IMO because they are schooling fish. Cardinals reach 2 inches, so IMO, they are too big for a 10g.
I see that you said you are in high school and only have a few options for purchasing fish. You may want to talk to your parents about the prospect of ordering fish online in order to get more varieties that are suited for a 10g tank. If you are set on guppies, thats totally fine! They are beautiful and fun. Just a thought. :)

Hello everyone!

My name is Jacob. I am a high school senior in a small town in Alabama. The only LFS's i know of are Wal-mart, Petsmart, and Pet Co.

The past several weeks, i have been heavily researching how to set up and run a quality freshwater aquarium. I have had tanks when i was younger, to different (usually low) levels of success. Needless to say, i have learned a TON!! I kinda feel bad about how those fish i had were living! but never again!! not on my watch, haha!

Yesterday I finally broke down and bought a aquarium kit from Wal-mart and most of the supplies I will need.

I started a journal to keep things somewhat scientific, and to help me keep track of changes and things of that nature.

Budget being an issue, it will be a while before i get fish, which I had sort of planned.

list of supplies
aquarium kit- filter (bio media, charcoal secondary filter), hood with 2 incandescant 15W bulbs, 10g tank.
Start Right
Start zyme
10 pounds of small size gravel for substrate
"digital thermometer" (the stick on tank kind. definitely NOT digital. haha!)
4 dwarf lily bulbs
1 terra cotta pot (i think i finger painted it in kindergarden. for use as a hiding spot)
1 marble dolphin sculpture my sister bought in cancun in 2002 ish

I have tried to do everything by the directions. Youll see on the journal I added 2 tbsp of table salt. Since iodine is very close to chlorine, the water conditioners I used SHOULD take any iodine away especially by the time i get fish.

10/29
6:15 PM--- 10 #/ gravel +9.5 G H20
6:25 --- 1 TSP Start Right
6:27 --- Start Zyme
6:34 --- Placed 4 Dwarf Lily’s, dolphin, pot.
7:15 --- 2 TBSP table salt.
7:30 --- water temp: 85*
8:20 --- WT 84*
10:30 ---- WT 83*
10/30
9:45 AM--- WT 81* turned hood lights on
11:30 --- WT 82*
9:45pm ---WT 81*

***tomorrow, i will start a fishless cycle to setup the bio environment.
things to buy:
Heater???
water test kits
REAL digital thermometer

questions:

How will the marble dolphin and terra cotta pot affect the water's chemical structure?

THE FUTURE OF MY TANK:

I will buy/make a few more hiding spots... the tank seems bare.

If i need a heater, i am thinking about the Hydor Hydrokable..... any ideas/pointers? I like that it is pretty much invisible and will distribute heat evenly.
tank was set up last night, temp has held consistent around 81-83*

Maybe some kind of bottom carpet plant, like 2 or 3 palm sized patches. maybe java moss or similar

FISH!!!!

1-2 panda Corys
5-7 neon or cardinal tetras
3 female guppies(of different varieties)
1 male guppy
a few ghost shrimp

again, I am open to ANY AND ALL suggestions, criticism, feedback, and questions... I don't mind explaining why i did(n't do) something. This is a learning process for me and my goal is to be like a sponge and soak it all up!!!

I will post pictures in just a minute!!:fish2:

For the heater, I recommend a Hydor Theo or an Aqueon. You definitely want something adjustable.

Panda cories aren't the best for a 10 gal. I would be very surprised if any of the three stores you listed in your area will have pygmy cories stocked. Habrosus, hastatus, and pygmaeus are really the only cories you'd want to put in there. Any others will get too large.

I would recommend a group of male guppies. The filter on that tank is rather weak and you could easily end up with an overcrowding issues with all those females.

I'm not a big fan of cards in a 10. I think neons are OK, but ember tetras would be even better if you can find them. I'd go with 6 of either.

I'm going to add that you read up on cycling the tank prior to getting fish. The best method is a fishless cycle. Cycling means growing the proper bacteria in your filter to consume the ammonia (waste) your fish put out. if you add fish too soon you'll be doing daily water changes for 4-6 weeks to keep your fish alive. The link in my signature: new empty tank will walk you through the fishless cycling process.

I have two bits to add.

One: If I recall correctly, marble is a carbonate compound and will raise your KH. The decomposition previously mentioned might have been caused by this. Then again, geological chemistry isn't my strong suit.

Two: I recommend you get some plants in there. Even if you just have gravel in there, some crypts/ferns/wisteria would really add to the tank. But then again, I'm a plant guy, and your tank is really about what you want.

I have two bits to add.

One: If I recall correctly, marble is a carbonate compound and will raise your KH. The decomposition previously mentioned might have been caused by this. Then again, geological chemistry isn't my strong suit.

Two: I recommend you get some plants in there. Even if you just have gravel in there, some crypts/ferns/wisteria would really add to the tank. But then again, I'm a plant guy, and your tank is really about what you want.

I KNOW about marble. Google "Sylacauga".....my home town. Largest and purest source of white marble in the world. Honestly. haha. Some older houses (rich peoples class 1900-1940s) had solid marble tubs, sinks, counters, driveways for practically pennies on the dollar... our marble is in nearly every monument and historical building in DC. . and yes, Marble is actually CALCIUM carbonate, or CaCO3.

and ive got four lilys, and im hoping they will be growing good at the end of the fishless cycle i started last night. :)

In pretty new to the hobby but I use prime to dechlorinate my water. Works very well and a little bit goes along way!!!

You can get the Ace Janitorial Strength ammonia from an Ace Hardware Store if you have one in your area. It'll cost less than $3 for a bottle.

Welcome to the site. I am glad you are planning carefully. Good to hear.
I am going to make a note that I DO NOT recommend using that terra cotta pot in the tank. The paint on it could easily be toxic to the fish.
Also, I would recommend pymgy corys, not panda. Pygmys (there are 3 types) only reach an inch and are the only corys I would recommend for a 10g tank. :) Also, corys should be in groups of at least 4 IMO because they are schooling fish. Cardinals reach 2 inches, so IMO, they are too big for a 10g.
I see that you said you are in high school and only have a few options for purchasing fish. You may want to talk to your parents about the prospect of ordering fish online in order to get more varieties that are suited for a 10g tank. If you are set on guppies, thats totally fine! They are beautiful and fun. Just a thought. :)

Duly noted points!!

yes, I'm in an institution called public high school..... one of the best in the state... but... school still sucks :p and ive got 5 years of college!!!

I have looked at fish online... and I imagine that it is safe since people have staked businesses on it, but it just seems like a bad idea knowing my luck. I wouldnt mind driving a good piece just to be able to hand pick the fish. But i also understand that many places are looking to create long-term customers... I think that is an area id like to learn more about.

Cards=neons. (yes, i do know the difference) but i think that a school of neons would look cool with the 4 foot black light i have in my room.. just a thought... :)

i think guppies are a good, safe bet. very pretty too!

what about dwarf gourami? i saw some last night that even a walmart toilet tank, they looked AWESOME! they might get too big, but if i have 6 neons, 2 dwarves and a good bit of ghost shrimp, could that work?

Just keep in mind, when you buy fish at a shop, they are fish the store had shipped in, then acclimated (usually poorly with just a float and drop method) to their tank which may or may not be in good shape and may or may not be diseased, maybe are only there for a short time, and then you take them home and acclimate them to your tank. Because of this, ordering the fish and having them shipped directly to you is actually a safer bet (when possible) and easier on the fish, since you avoid that middle step. Most reputable sellers offer a DOA guarantee, atleast on certain orders, so you will have the option for a refund if something doesn't arrive alive. I've had far better luck with fish I've ordered online from many different sellers than the fish I've purchased from most (not all, but most) chain stores and mom and pop shops.

1 dwarf gourami would be okay but not 2. 6 neons, 1 DG, and ghost shrimp pretty much stock a 10 gal but you might be able to get away with a trio of guppies in there as well.

IMO with all the swimming room taking by the neons and a territorial fish like a DG in there, I wouldn't recommend guppies.

its a either x or y kinda thing. either dwarf gouramis. or guppies. I like the DGs more, but from what im seeing, a mated pair isnt a good idea for my tank.

Gourami's are very prone to disease. You get a lot of sick ones when you try to keep gourami's.

Trying to keep 2 fg in a 10g tank is big risk IMO. They tend to get territorial and bossy as they age (and most of the fish readily available for sale at common stores are juveniles). It can be done in theory with luck and a lot of plants, but I wouldn't recommend it.
DG can be a bit disease prone, but its up to you if ou want to try the DG or the guppies. Either way, it sounds like you will have a nice, attractive tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom