New member with a desperate story (please help!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question re fishless cycle using raw prawn as ammonia source.

My ammonia has been 4ppm for close to a week. The last few days my nitrite levels have been measurable, but not outstanding. I read that when the nitrite levels started to rise, halve the ammonia, so I dumped 1 1/2 of the 2 1/2 prawns in the tank. 24 hrs (last night) later Amm = 4ppm and today at midday the amm level was still the same.

Last night, my nitrite spiked to somewhere between 2-5ppm (I'm finding it difficult to guess, but I'd say its closer to 5 than 2). Amm is still at 4ppm.

Would that be right? I thought that as the nitrite went up (or just before), the amm went down. I figure this is because I still have an amm source there constantly rotting and therefore the levels aren't going down.

My question is should I remove all the raw prawn??

Last edited:
Definately don't remove the prawn until the cycle is complete and you are ready to add fish. You need a constant source of Ammonia or the beneficial bacteria will start to die off. Basically you're at the point where your starting to build up enough of the bacteria that converts the Ammonia to Nitrite, but not enough to handle the current levels yet. The first bacteria will continue to multiply as the second one that converts Nitrite to Nitrate starts to get established. Both will keep increasing until in sufficient numbers to handle the Ammonia levels in the aquarium.

So it is all in one place, I've added my daily test results since I started cycling. Everything has been going okay until the last few days where things have stated going a little haywire.

I'm still not sure if there's anything to be concerned about or not, but I'll just keep monitoring things for now.

In any case, I am updating these results each day.

Fishless Cycling Test Results

Minor spikes in Ammonia and Nitrite at the end of the cycle are why you want to keep adding the Ammonia each day until you see both the Ammonia and Nitrite stay at zero for a few days in a row. A minor spike is just a sign of immature biofilter that is still getting established. Don't stress the results too much. You're just keeping track so that you can watch the trends and then finally have proof that the cycle is complete. It also helps you to learn how to use your test kits so that you know you're using them correctly if there's ever a problem down the line where you need check for a mini cycle, etc.

Yay!! Very excited now as nitrites are finally 0 so looks like I am the proud owner of a cycled tank. Will keep an eye on it until the weekend to be certain. If all is good Saturday, I'll stock it then. It's a good thing too because I was just "out" of raw prawn. I'll have to add another for the next few days.

I've decided on getting Bill some sissortail mates. For surviving as long as he has, I owe him that much. I am worried about the current created by my filter as it is very strong and I have it turned down as much as possible.

I also want to add some Harlequin Rasboras if possible. I have read that they are happy with a strong current, and I think that they should create a nice contrast against the plants.

How many of each should I get?

Fishless Cycling Test Results

Hey that's great!!! Congratulations! And it's nice to hear that Bill's still doing well! :-D

If the earth was hit by a meteroite and everything was obliterated, I'm convinced 2 things would survive. Bacteria and Bill.

Kristen, it's a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft.

I've been told by my husband that this is my "last chance" so I'm praying I can get this right. Keep in mind I now have a canister filter that's a little large for my tank. It's a Jebo 835 and designed for a 3ft +

I was told by the LFS that this was the better filter. In fairness to him, I accidentally told him it was a 30G tank. I rang him as soon as I realised the error, and he said he would not have recommended it had he known the real size, but that said, it wouldn't be harmful provided I don't choose a species that likes no current.

I kept it on the assumption that I can get this tank working (i.e. fish stay alive for a reasonable time) and I can then upsize to a larger tank an use this as a QT tank.

Excellent....thats a nice size tank. :) I went back about 4 pages and have read through the rest before, but I couldn't remember.

Since you want to be nice to Bill and get him some friends and you want Harlies, I think you would be ok with about 4-5 of each. The tank isn't really big enough for 2 full schools, but having 4-5 of each or 4 Scissors and 5-6 Harlies should be fine. Then I wouldn't put much else in it....maybe some dwarf Cories for the bottom or some Otos. That's after you give the rasboras time to settle in. ;)

Thanks Kristen, that's the numbers I was thinking were right.

I was thinking 4 more sissortails and 6 Harlequin Rasboras.

As much as I'd like a bottom feeder, don't dwarf cories and Otos need to be in groups of 4-5 as well? If that's the case, I'd be a wee over stocked don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom