New Need a little help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 7 of them in a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump and a RIO 2500 pump. You dont think that is 2 many do you???

I don't have experience with Mbuna tanks (love them though!) so I did a quick search for you to get a rough answer...here it is.

For the most part, it depends on what species you have and the ratio male:female. From what I found, if you research your species choices, you will be able to achieve a balance allowing you to stock 8-16 which is a wide girth between the numbers. One thing I have read over and over about stocking a Mbuna Tank is that it is important to stock them all at once because of the aggression level. They will fare better together if they grow up together.

Anyhow, at least that's a tid bit of info. As Heather suggested, the cichlid section would be your bgest bet!

I don't have experience with Mbuna tanks (love them though!) so I did a quick search for you to get a rough answer...here it is.

For the most part, it depends on what species you have and the ratio male:female. From what I found, if you research your species choices, you will be able to achieve a balance allowing you to stock 8-16 which is a wide girth between the numbers. One thing I have read over and over about stocking a Mbuna Tank is that it is important to stock them all at once because of the aggression level. They will fare better together if they grow up together.

Anyhow, at least that's a tid bit of info. As Heather suggested, the cichlid section would be your bgest bet!

Hey thanks a lot for searching.. That does seem like a lot of fish. I guess the more the better for them so no one fish gets picked on a lot.. They are really really small so with just 7 in the 55 gallon it looks like I dont have any fish in there at all.:)

Hey thanks a lot for searching.. That does seem like a lot of fish. I guess the more the better for them so no one fish gets picked on a lot.. They are really really small so with just 7 in the 55 gallon it looks like I dont have any fish in there at all.:)
Yes, that is exactly why Mbuna tanks are most often stocked quite full...to prevent aggression. LOL! I bet it's so cute though! Those little guys in such a big tank LOL! They certainly will fill it out though once fully grown ;) It's amazing just how fast fish grow!

Yes, that is exactly why Mbuna tanks are most often stocked quite full...to prevent aggression. LOL! I bet it's so cute though! Those little guys in such a big tank LOL! They certainly will fill it out though once fully grown ;) It's amazing just how fast fish grow!

Yes it is really funny looking but in no time they will be grown up...

Back
Top Bottom