Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Penguin 150 Bio-wheel

Saturday morning I had unplugged my original penguin biowheel 150 (Size B Filters) to do a small cleaning of my tank, and upon re-plugging in...it stopped working.

There was no incication of trouble, no smoke, no noice, simply....stopped.

So I had to run to the LFS and noticed that there has been a re-design of the whole Penguin filter system. Sicne I already had quite a few 'B' filters left (unused) I decided to get the new 150.

Well, I noticed the new 150 is designed upto 30 gals where the new 100 is up to 20 gals. But the 100 only uses 'A' filters, and for a few bucks more I could use all my 'B' Filters.

Well, I must say, straight out of the box, it is a pretty slick design. I think they did a real ggod job in re-designing the 2 part top enclosure which seperates the filter and teh bio-whell sections. It really cuts down on over-splash water and noise. The long siphon tube also has a mid-tank level strainer (adjustable) as well as the bottom. Nice!

The only thing I was really bummed out on was the size of the new bio-wheel itself. I could not take my old one and put it in the new one. Totally new size

But it is much faster and spins much more freely. I also noticed that the surface water agitation, while quieter, provides much more oxygenation to the water than the original. So in order to seed the new bio wheel, I have the old one free floating in the tank.

I am much happier with the performance hands down than the original, so despite shelling out $25 I guess it was a good thing.

But anyone have any idea how long I should keep the old bio wheel in the tank before safely removing it so as the new bio wheel gets seeded?

4 - Leopard Danio's
3 - Bleeding Heart Tetra's
1 - Serpae Tetra
1 - Red Wag Platy
2 - Fancy Male Guppies
1 - Ghost Shrimp
jaysono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I had been thinking about one of those! Thanks

You should definitly write a review in the review section!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, you should do a review!

About the old bio-wheel -- I would leave it floating for about 2 weeks. Do some ammonia and nitrite tests in the meantime. You really shouldn't have a mini-cycle, since you didn't change things like substrate and decorations, and the old bio-wheel is still in the tank. But do your tests just to be sure, and if the parameters check out ok after 2 weeks, remove the old bio-wheel. If not (but my guess is it will be ok) leave the old bio-wheel in the tank while doing your testing every few days until your parameters are good.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

On a side note, with your old filter.. I had the same issue with mine... And it was very easily fixable... I mearly took off the suction tube.. took a knife, placed it in they hole where the thing spins.. and while pluggs in I gave it a "jump start" by forcing it to start spinning.. and it worked great.. and been workign great ever since.If you have not already disguarded the old one, I think you might be ablke to save it for a spare. Also great to hear the the new one is workign so well..
Old 05-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jaysono, I couldn't agree with you more. The Penguin 150 is wonderful..I decided to switch to it on my 10 gal fw tank. I absolutely LOVE this filter. My old filter was a topfin 10 and it was still workng when I decided to switch. I heard that I should leave it running in the tank with the new filter for about 4 weeks before removing the old filter....well.....it is still there on my tank. Haven't gotten around to removeing it yet. My ammonia is still not down to 0 so I'm leaving it there till it does. currently about 5 weeks since I hooled up the new filter

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The penguin filters w/BioWheel are top notch. I've got a Penguin 100 and have been pleased since day 1; especially with the mid level intake. It does a nice job catching any uneaten food, if there ever is any. You should do a review for sure!
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
fmj - you can do a review as well!!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

new Penguin BioWheels

I purchased 2, 100 gph BioWheels a week or 2 ago and I'm trying to get them inoculated in my sparsely inhabited QT. They are very quiet. One spins much better than the other and I think it is due to variability in the wheels. I'm planning on using one to supplement filtration in a 29 gallon and the other to filter a 10 gallon.

I also just purchased a new Penguin 350 that has 2 BioWheels. I'm going to use it to run my new 29 gallon tank along with the old Whisper 30 that came with it. I figured since someone gave me the tank that I might as well use the old filter too. I like running multiple HOB filters b/c I can rotate changing filters and media without drastically changing my bacterial filter flora population.

So far I like the 100s. I just don't like the wheel that doesn't turn as well. I may just get another wheel, but I don't like losing the bacteria.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BTW. What is the difference between the Emporer and Penguin BioWheel filters besides the price? Aren't they both made by Marineland?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:53 AM   #10
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
There are only 2 sizes of the Emporer's while there are 7 or more sizes of the Penguin's. They are both made by Marineland. Also, the Emperor's have a media container that you can put whatever filter media you want. I personally like the Emperor's much better, especially the bigger one.

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, bio-wheel, eel, penguin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com