New piece of wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, so I bought some wood for my tank last week can't remember the name of it and I'm currently soaking it to get rid of the tannins(think that's what it's called) how long will it take til I can finally put it In my tank?? Thanks in advance :)

it really depends on u! some wood will leach tannin for years to come! if u dont mind ur teaish water, u can put it in ur tank anytime u want

but if u want clear water. wash it in a dishwasher without soap or boil it! both ways will remove huge amount of tannin in a short period of time. but like i said depending on the wood, tannin may/may not stop leaching for a long time.

Hubert90 said:
it really depends on u! some wood will leach tannin for years to come! if u dont mind ur teaish water, u can put it in ur tank anytime u want

but if u want clear water. wash it in a dishwasher without soap or boil it! both ways will remove huge amount of tannin in a short period of time. but like i said depending on the wood, tannin may/may not stop leaching for a long time.

Ok thanks, I'll try boiling it, I've only got it in cold water at the moment, ive got it in a bin filled with cold water, after the first night I couldn't even see the piece of wood so I emptied it and refilled a couple of times since then and the water seems to be gettin clearer every day! I'll try find the name of the wood.

Ok thanks, I'll try boiling it, I've only got it in cold water at the moment, ive got it in a bin filled with cold water, after the first night I couldn't even see the piece of wood so I emptied it and refilled a couple of times since then and the water seems to be gettin clearer every day! I'll try find the name of the wood.

thats great! maybe after a couple of boils u will have a driftwood that no longer leaches tannin!! lucky! haha u can post a picture of it on here! we can identify it for u if u want!

Hubert90 said:
thats great! maybe after a couple of boils u will have a driftwood that no longer leaches tannin!! lucky! haha u can post a picture of it on here! we can identify it for u if u want!

That's what I'm hoping my tank still looks bare lol. Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• image-2341728934.jpg
    image-2341728934.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 86
Heres my tank so far :)

Attachments

• image-1138348133.jpg
    image-1138348133.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 100
That's what I'm hoping my tank still looks bare lol. Here's a pic of it.

looks like Mopani DW and a nice piece at that (y).

Yep, soaking it is the best method and change the water everyday. Once it slows to a crawl, you could try just propping it in your tank for a few days and see what it does. If it's still leaching a ton of tannins pull it and keep soaking it, but it does look a bit big for boiling unless you have a lobster pot lol.

Depending on what you have for a filter, poly-fil is great at removing tannins and keeping you water crystal clear in general. Here's a link with a pic on what it did for one of my tanks housing a piece of DW that leached tannins like doomsday was coming :rolleyes:.

Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Mr. Limpet said:
looks like Mopani DW and a nice piece at that (y).

Yep, soaking it is the best method and change the water everyday. Once it slows to a crawl, you could try just propping it in your tank for a few days and see what it does. If it's still leaching a ton of tannins pull it and keep soaking it, but it does look a bit big for boiling unless you have a lobster pot lol.

Depending on what you have for a filter, poly-fil is great at removing tannins and keeping you water crystal clear in general. Here's a link with a pic on what it did for one of my tanks housing a piece of DW that leached tannins like doomsday was coming :rolleyes:.

Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Thanks :) that name sounds familiar u could be right, I paid about £15 for it online. I have a fluval 205 canister filter, that poly-fil stuff definitely looks like it works lol this is what it looks in my brand new unused bin with boiling water, it was starting to run clear with cold water so glad u suggested boiling it. Thank you.

Attachments

• image-3124048074.jpg
    image-3124048074.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 79
Hey I'm new to the forum and joined to see if anyone had suggestions about the leaching problem I have with my driftwood. I got the exact same type of driftwood and the guy at the store told me to just soak it til the water runs clear but didn't mention boiling it. I put it in my tank and woke up the next morning and could barely see through my tank. You seem like you are pretty knowledgeable about this situation so I figure I'd see if you could tell me if the poly fill works with an emperor external filter?

Also would u recommend pwc's. It's hard for me because of the high nitrite levels in the Boston tap water so If you think so should I just get bottled purified water or something?

Back
Top Bottom