New - Process of Cycling Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmgarcia70

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I am very new to fish and am in the process of cycling my tank. I used the Fluval biological booster but not really sure if the cycling is working. I think it is but from what I have read my numbers seem weird. Here is what I had/have:
Day 1: PH (7.6), Ammonia (8 after I added to much Fritz did water change), Nitrite (1) and Nitrate (20).
Day 2: PH (7.6), Ammonia (2 then added Fritz to get to 4)
Day 3: PH (7.6), Ammonia (2 then added Fritz to get to 4), Nitrite (5) and Nitrate (40).
Day 4: PH (8.2 realized needed to use higher ph range kit), Ammonia (2 then added Fritz to get to 4), Nitrite (5) and Nitrate (40).

I guess my tap water has very high nitrates and ph so not sure if that will make a difference. Do I mainly need to watch the ammonia and nitrates get to zero and worry about my PH and Nitrates once it's cycled and I have done a water change. Sorry so long! Thank you =)

Have you tested your tap water? And if so what was the nitrate reading? It won't really matter for the cycling but could matter once you add fish.

When your ammonia and nitrites zero out and nitrates increase then it's cycling. When you dose ammonia and its converted to 0 at a rate around 2 ppm in 24 hours then you know your beneficial bacteria is sufficient.

Don't worry about your pH. Fish will adapt. Messing with it usually causes fish death due to the fluctuations. I also run a pH between 8.2 and 8.4.

Keep doing what your doing and be patient. Let us know how it goes.

Nitrates

Hi King Fisher! My tap water is about 40 ppm for nitrates too. I plan on getting one or two pea puffers for the tank and know they have to be very well kept.

Should the nitrate levels fluctuate since they are so high to begin with or will I mainly be looking for the ammonia and nitrites to zero out?

Thanks! =)

When your tank becomes cycled it will produce nitrates on top of what is in your tap. You definitely need to look at your ammonia and nitrites zeroing out..... ammonia being converted to 0 within 24 hours of dosing.

Before you put fish in you will probably have to mix 50/50 tap and RO water. Which would bring your nitrates down to 20 ppm to start out with. Then repeat for every water change.

That is the best way that I know of. I believe there's nitrate filter pads out there but I don't know anything about them and have never used them.

Unfortunately, I think you are going to have to mix 50/50 to keep it under control.

Did you get this nitrate reading from your water company or did you test it with a liquid API test kit or similar product?

Back
Top Bottom