Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2005, 02:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New QT Tank and Betta Tank

Ok so I got a 4gal tank for QT and 4gal for the betta. 2nd hand, glass. no leaks, some scratches but no lid. cost $7 each.
8.5" width
17.5 Length
8.25"Height

1. what are my lid options for the two tanks? I know that the betta tank lid must have access to fresh air (ventilation) as the tank will prob not have any oxygenation.

2. what kind of filter is suitable for both tanks?
3. what is the right heater wattage for these tanks?

thankyou for any help

Old 04-30-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

also one of the tanks smells really funky, it reeks and is pretty dirty. anything other than hot water to clean it with?

Old 04-30-2005, 05:10 AM   #3

you can clean them in a mild bleach polution.(like 10%)But you have to rinse it in a dechlorinator solution afterwards, usually triple strenth.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanx!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

A bleach solution would work well to clean the tanks. Fill the tank(s) up with water and pour 2 cups of bleach in. Let that sit overnight, and rinse very well. Fill up again and add enough dechlorinator for a 15-20 gallon tank, and let that sit overnight again. (The label on the dechlor ususally says how much to add per gallon). Pour that water off, and you can repeat that step if you want. Then rinse well -- I put my tank in the sink and use the sprayer for about 10 minutes. When you can't smell any more bleach, you're all set!

Here's an option for a lid: All-Glass Versa-Top
I use the 16-inch one on my 5.5 gallon tank. You could use another piece of that plastic backstrip to fill in any gaps. This lid may be a bit short lengthwise. On my tank, this lid fits tightly, but I do have a sponge filter that makes bubbles. The lid will also help keep the warmth and humidity in -- bettas need warm and humid air for their labyrinth organ. You'll see some condensation under the lid -- this is normal. The warmer you have the heater set to, the more condensation you'll see. I set my tanks to 80 degrees F.

About the heater -- a 25 watt heater is good for tanks ranging from 2 to 5 gallons. A small sponge filter will be good too. It won't make too much current for the betta. The airline from the sponge filter and the heater cord can go through a hole cut through the plastic backstrip of the versa-top. Check out the pics in my gallery for 5 gallon betta setups.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

do you need an air pump to run the sponge filter?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, you do. There are pics in my gallery of my airpump and gang valve setup. The gang valve can be used to control the amount of air going into the sponge filter. The gang valve doesn't control the airflow out of the pump, but if you get one with extra ports, you can open some of the unused ports to let off the extra air. The smaller volume of air that goes through the sponge filter will not create as much current. You can adjust the amount of air going to the sponge filter by adjusting each port on the gang valve. When I open up an unused port more, the air going to the sponge filter decreases. If I close up an unused port more, the air going to the sponge filter increases. I play with both the unused ports and the port that the sponge filter airline is on to get the airflow and water flow the way I want it.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well i did get one doublesponge filter and it has a little bubbler. i will be getting a sponge filter fpr QT and two 25watt heaters online. the betta likes the bubbler. hes so cute
Old 05-02-2005, 12:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

uhhhh i can't get the bleach out.

Tags
betta, qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com