New reading help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
I I've been fishless cycling my tank now for 2 weeks and have readings or ammo.25 nitrites 5 nitrates 80. And ph 8.8.
Nothing happened the first week the. I tested this week and was off the charts for everything.
Can anybody tell me what I should do next?
Thanks

In your other thread, didn't you just say pH is 7.4? How long have the nitrItes been at 5? If it's been a considerable amount of time, it doesn't hurt to do a pwc to lower them to .5-1...just don't be surprised if they jump right back up. You don't need to do water changes every single time they climb...but dropping them a few times can be helpful. Also, people will see both threads you have, and it will be easier to follow the progress and know the background if you stick to just the one thread on the same topic.

eco23 said:
In your other thread, didn't you just say pH is 7.4? How long have the nitrItes been at 5? If it's been a considerable amount of time, it doesn't hurt to do a pwc to lower them to .5-1...just don't be surprised if they jump right back up. You don't need to do water changes every single time they climb...but dropping them a few times can be helpful. Also, people will see both threads you have, and it will be easier to follow the progress and know the background if you stick to just the one thread on the same topic.

Hey I'll go back to the other one just didn't think you were gonna write back so I was justseeing what others would say?

And I haven't been checking the nitrites because the ammo only dropped today. So didnt think I was suppose to so I'll check them again tomorrow and see if there constant.

And about the ph I said it was 7.4 when I first added the water and it's now 8.4.

No problem :). I'm just saying the other thread has all the background info, so it'll save you some typing having to reexplain everything. People are pretty good at looking at all the threads and chiming in when they've got some info :). I also responded to the other, but it's basically what I said above.

eco23 said:
No problem :). I'm just saying the other thread has all the background info, so it'll save you some typing having to reexplain everything. People are pretty good at looking at all the threads and chiming in when they've got some info :). I also responded to the other, but it's basically what I said above.

Hey again. I'm getting another tank today? It's a good bit bigger but. I has had gold fish in it for years but. Hasn't had a water change in about 6 months. Do you think I'll need new filters and all that for the new set up for tropical fish?

Has it not had any fish in it for those 6months?? And depending on the filter you have already, you might be able to transfer it over to the new tank, as well as maybe using the old one that's on it.

Chris22 said:
Has it not had any fish in it for those 6months?? And depending on the filter you have already, you might be able to transfer it over to the new tank, as well as maybe using the old one that's on it.

Yeah has fish in it now but I'm gonna take them out of it and clean it up?

Steo the great said:
Yeah has fish in it now but I'm gonna take them out of it and clean it up?

So i take its a cycled tank?? And if u wanted to go with Sand like u said, now is the time to go out and buy it lol.

Chris22 said:
So i take its a cycled tank?? And if u wanted to go with Sand like u said, now is the time to go out and buy it lol.

It's not properly cycled but probably because of the time the fish are in it. And yeah I'll get sand during the week?

Hey again. I'm getting another tank today? It's a good bit bigger but. I has had gold fish in it for years but. Hasn't had a water change in about 6 months. Do you think I'll need new filters and all that for the new set up for tropical fish?

Sorry, I'm not understanding....

You have another tank with gold fish in it now? And it hasn't had a water change in 6 months?! What size tank and how many gold fish? And you said you were going to get rid of the goldfish and use it for tropical fish....what do you plan to do with the goldfish?

What is the size tank you have now that you are fishless cycling?

Steo the great said:
It's not properly cycled but probably because of the time the fish are in it. And yeah I'll get sand during the week?

Id do a test on the new tank just to see where everything is at cause that's confusing lol. An with the sand, are you going to be having live or fake plants?? If ur going for live I'd go for about 2inches deep, my sand bed is about an inch and my plants keep floating to the top where there not deep enough into the sand. Very annoying! Lol.

librarygirl said:
Sorry, I'm not understanding....

You have another tank with gold fish in it now? And it hasn't had a water change in 6 months?! What size tank and how many gold fish? And you said you were going to get rid of the goldfish and use it for tropical fish....what do you plan to do with the goldfish?

What is the size tank you have now that you are fishless cycling?

Hi. The new original tank is a 54 litre. And that's staying aswell.

So the new one I've just got from my girlfriends dad.
I've drained the water because. I had to bring it home and have to put it on the wall. And couldn't lift it?
And the old gold fish bout 6 of them are going into a new smaller one that they own? So it's going to be fishless for me?

And Chris yeah I'll get get it very deep then hahaha that would drive me crazy if that happened. Nice one

Steo the great said:
Hi. The new original tank is a 54 litre. And that's staying aswell.

So the new one I've just got from my girlfriends dad.
I've drained the water because. I had to bring it home and have to put it on the wall. And couldn't lift it?
And the old gold fish bout 6 of them are going into a new smaller one that they own? So it's going to be fishless for me?

And Chris yeah I'll get get it very deep then hahaha that would drive me crazy if that happened. Nice one

I've been told not to go above 3inches as It could cause hydrogen sulphide to build up underneath it, I'm gonna aim for 2inchs on mine, that should be enough to keep the plants rooted. Did u test the water before u drained it??

Chris22 said:
I've been told not to go above 3inches as It could cause hydrogen sulphide to build up underneath it, I'm gonna aim for 2inchs on mine, that should be enough to keep the plants rooted. Did u test the water before u drained it??

Ok I'll try that out with the sand and I have some of the water left because I've kept the ornaments in the original water in case they had good bacteria on them so I'll test now and see the levels?

#1, I think I feel bad for the goldfish. They require 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10 for each additional one. So, unless it's a 70 gallon tank...they've got trouble. And they're going into a smaller one? No water change in 6 months!? Hopefully you can share with them some of the info you've learned here, and teach them how to care for their fish.

Second, assuming the media stayed wet and the tank was healthy, it will be perfectly viable. That said...those Goldfish are going to suffer tremendously if you take all the media. The bacteria in those filters is their only saving grace, and the new tank they're going into will be completely uncycled and is going to be an extremely bad situation for them. Personally I suggest you return the seeded media, and maybe only keep a small portion for yourself.

Here's a link you can give them...in fact, you should link them this entire website-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

eco23 said:
#1, I think I feel bad for the goldfish. They require 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10 for each additional one. So, unless it's a 70 gallon tank...they've got trouble. And they're going into a smaller one? No water change in 6 months!? Hopefully you can share with them some of the info you've learned here, and teach them how to care for their fish.

Second, assuming the media stayed wet and the tank was healthy, it will be perfectly viable. That said...those Goldfish are going to suffer tremendously if you take all the media. The bacteria in those filters is their only saving grace, and the new tank they're going into will be completely uncycled and is going to be an extremely bad situation for them. Personally I suggest you return the seeded media, and maybe only keep a small portion for yourself.

Here's a link you can give them...in fact, you should link them this entire website-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Was jut on to them they said there going to the lfs cause they can't look after them so that's fine now I suppose. But to be honest I wouldn't say the tanks filter is very good condition because try had no idea of all these problem with fish as I wouldn't have till now so I'll check the water now see how they go and if it's not worth it I'm gonna clean it out perfectly?

I don't think I'm completely following...but unless the fish were sick from disease, parasites, etc...the bacteria from that tank will be perfectly usable. There's really no need to use any of the water, just filter media, decorations, substrate, etc...will be good.

Also make sure you research the proper way to clean an aquarium. You definitely don't want to use any detergents.

eco23 said:
I don't think I'm completely following...but unless the fish were sick from disease, parasites, etc...the bacteria from that tank will be perfectly usable. There's really no need to use any of the water, just filter media, decorations, substrate, etc...will be good.

Also make sure you research the proper way to clean an aquarium. You definitely don't want to use any detergents.

Yeah I wasn't completely sure if they were free from disease that my problem. And there's just algae all over the glass and bottom?
So I'm just gonna give it a bit of a scrub and rinse it with some water?

I didnt mean for him to test the water in the tank and then use it again, I was thinking more of if he does a test we'll know more about where the filter is at if u know what I mean??

Yeah that's what I thought Chris. The readings I got from my new tank were as follows,
Ammo-4
NitrIte-5
NitrAte-40-80
Any ideas on what I should try with this tank?

Back
Top Bottom