New Setup. Advice Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HitTheRoadJack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It takes a lot for me too get used to this kind of thing.
Please bear with me.

I am not new to fish, but I am new at having my own tanks. My mom and I have had a 10 gallon tank for a while, and have had some relatively easy fish. Now that my mom has quit her aquarium she and my grandmother gave me each a 10 gallon tank.
Now I have a stand with two ten gallon tanks, and one seperate 6.5 gallon tank with my male betta in it.

I would like to know the possibilities of what I could have in these two tanks, since I have little space and a budget to stay on. I am going to sell some things to have some money in my fish fund. I am too young to get a job yet.

I have only two ten gallons.
Would like a community tank.

I'm probably not sure of what kind of filters I have, because everything I have is so old. probally as old as me. I'll try take some snaps asap and post them for everyone.

Thanks.
If I need to add anything else just tell me.

There are a lot of smaller fish that will work well in 10 gallons. Dwarf Platies are something I love watching at the fish store, even though I don't have any myself. Pygmy Cories would work with those as they also stay small and stay near the bottom. I personally love Harlquin Rasboras. They are inexpensive, at least in my area, at less than $1.00 each. They school well and are relatively small.

As far as filters and heaters, both can be obtained for about $10/each for each tank. AquaClear filters are about $10 online and any number of 50-watt heaters should work for your tanks.

Do you have any more information as to what type of fish you would like as far as what level they swim, how active they are, or anything else?

theotheragentm said:
There are a lot of smaller fish that will work well in 10 gallons. Dwarf Platies are something I love watching at the fish store, even though I don't have any myself. Pygmy Cories would work with those as they also stay small and stay near the bottom. I personally love Harlquin Rasboras. They are inexpensive, at least in my area, at less than $1.00 each. They school well and are relatively small.

As far as filters and heaters, both can be obtained for about $10/each for each tank. AquaClear filters are about $10 online and any number of 50-watt heaters should work for your tanks.

Do you have any more information as to what type of fish you would like as far as what level they swim, how active they are, or anything else?

Thank you so much.
I haven't any experience with the fish you've suggested, but I'm willing to take a look and give some of them a shot if possible.

I forgot to mention I have both filters for both tank, but I have only one heater. I'll be sure to purchase another one.

I don't really have much of a preference, all I know is that I would like to have a community of them. Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

Updated
I am interested in these fish and if they would be able to tolerate each other well in your opinion:
Zebra Danios
Blue Gouramis
Tiger Barbs
Female Betta

Female bettas would be lovely in a 10 gallon tank. You could have a few and (unlike the boys) they would likely get along. You could always do them with some bottom dwellers like corys.

Same with zebra danios. I don't think I'd put them with bettas since they're quite active but again, you could have a small school with some bottom dwellers.

Tiger barbs need a larger tank and are quite nippy--so probably wouldn't be a good option for your tanks.

I've never kept gouramis...but my understanding is they don't get along with bettas. They may be an option alone or with some bottom dwellers for a 10 but I'll leave that to others with more knowledge to chime in.

Other fish to think of would be many of the tetras. Hope this is helpful. Have fun setting up the tank!

Gourami's and bettas are not a good mix. Dwarf gourami's are the only option for a 10 gal and only one of them at that. Some other fish you might want to consider are rasboras, black neon tetras, cardinal tetras, lemon tetras.

@ fish 'n' fries - Okay that was a lot of useful information you gave me :] If I comprehended it correctly, then I understand that... One tank could have 2-3 female bettas, and 1-2 corys?
And for the active Zebra Danios I could put a school 4-5 of them in one tank with a bottemdweller? Feel free to correct me, i'm here to learn lol
Tigers and Gouramis are a bust. hm, Tetras? I've never had those before, I'll look up some stuff about them. Would I be able to mis Tetras with Danios?

Thanks for all your information.

@ rich311k - Agreed, I may keep them one day, with a bigger tank lol. I just would feel guilty having a dwarf gourami all by itself. :\ So I'll skip gouramis. Thanks for your help.

@ Zagz- Hm. I realize, alas maybe one day I'll be able to keep some gouramis. Rasboras, and tetras are new to me, I've never kept them before, mom was more of a molly, and guppy person. Thanks for the insights.

Back
Top Bottom