New Setup help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DocOck

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon tank long. I want to do a flame moss tree, dwarf grass carpet, and I want the other side to be like a thick forest of plants. Any suggestions or warnings?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You're going to need some serious light plus co2 and ferts to do a dhg carpet. Especially with the height of the 29. IMO

Seems like a cool idea. You will need high light and probably going to need to go with a pressurized Co2 system. I have heard some horror stories about Dwarf hair grass and have seen some great successes with it, but that's pretty much all I know about it. U recommend a Finnex light, but I'm not sure which one would work the best. You will also need some really good substrate, and I would say probably Aqua soil. Are you going to be dosing any kind of ferts other than Co2?

I was going to invest in a good soil. I was wondering if the CO2 is a necessity if I have a great light and great soil?

Thanks!

I was going to invest in a good soil. I was wondering if the CO2 is a necessity if I have a great light and great soil?

Thanks!

Algae and/or poor plant growth would become an issue if the light and ferts are in good supply but CO2 is not. These need to be in balance. If you are not planning to use DIY or pressurized CO2, you can use a liquid supplement such as API CO2 Booster, Seachem Excel, Metricide 15 (glutaraldehyde).

What is the least expensive? Thanks for all of your hell!

okay, this may be a little off topic, but instead of flame moss for the tree, why not try phoenix moss? imo it looks more like the leaves of a tree and they grow downward as opposed to the flame moss growing upward. Just a suggestion tho. Hope everything goes well! I agree with the replies you have gotten so far.(y)

What is the least expensive? Thanks for all of your hell!

Metricide 14 (available from Amazon) in the 1 gallon jug is the least expensive by volume. Sure, the 500 mL bottles of Excel or CO2 Booster cost less but strength wise, you would need to by 15 of those bottles to match the 1 gallon jug of Metricide 14.

Back
Top Bottom