New shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desastre

Aquarium Advice Freak
So after a bit of negotiating with my wife she finally let me start my shrimp tank it's a 10g but it was like pulling teeth with her lol. I plan on adding a moss wall for the background and some driftwood I got soaking. I seeded with media from my 55g so I don't assume it will take to long to cycle and the let the rcs tank begin. Pictures soon to come.

Red cherry shrimp are going to be a definite in the tank but not sure if I want to make it completely for them or if I want to add an opposite species to avoid cross breeding to spruce things up.

Even if you spruce things up, I think the tank will eventually be overrun by RCS within 1 year. Just don't put in a sponge filter to try to slow down the RCS reproduction or you could forget about putting in moss.

I don't mind that to much I put a sponge over my filter intake to start with and once they start their reproducing I want to add them to my 20g and 55g community tanks where their survival rate may not be as high but they will still add some color for a while. Plus I have some friends here in PR who will probably want some shrimp themselves so I can play good friend.

Best regards to your new shrimp tank! Show pics soon because my RCS tank is basically bare with a giant moss ball.

Lol will do hopefully my moss arrives Early next week I have all the other materials ready to go for the background.

Terrance said:
Even if you spruce things up, I think the tank will eventually be overrun by RCS within 1 year. Just don't put in a sponge filter to try to slow down the RCS reproduction or you could forget about putting in moss.

Why not a sponge filter? I am going to start a shrimp tank soon also.

I'm using an ac 20 with some sponge covering the intake. Once the population stars to take off some will go to my community tank and others to some friends so not to worried of them getting out of control. And with a hob there's always just removing the sponge on the intake if anything.

Why not a sponge filter? I am going to start a shrimp tank soon also.

Sponge filter and java moss will increase the rate of RCS population increase.

Desastre is trying to put different species of shrimp into a tank. If his tank is overrun by RCS, then it will be difficult to notice the other species of shrimps.

Hello,

Good luck with your shrimp tank! May I suggest a few shrimp?: Starry night shrimp, Ruldolf shrimp, Crystal red shrimp, and Ghost shrimp (The first 3 are a little more sensitive, but they are awesome!)

Terrance said:
Sponge filter and java moss will increase the rate of RCS population increase.

Desastre is trying to put different species of shrimp into a tank. If his tank is overrun by RCS, then it will be difficult to notice the other species of shrimps.

Gotcha. Thanks. I want them to breed, so I can give some away

Back
Top Bottom