New small aquarium help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lolli

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a little 6.6 gallon bookshelf (long and low) acrylic tank and am looking to find out what I can put in it. I've looked around the forum while I set it up, and it has a heater, a stock filter that uses one of those white cartrides full of charcoal, and is in the process of being cycled.

My question is, since it's a small tank, what's the largest adult fish size I should shoot for? I'm thinking 2 or 3 small fish that don't need but don't mind company.

I would say nothing that gets over 1.5" maybe some small tetras. It would make a neat shrimp tank though

FW Shrimp are very interesting, and they come in lots of varieties.

A betta would be very nice.

There are some microrasboras that would work well.

I think most tetras need a little more room than that tank has to swim, even though they stay relatively small. You could get away with a few neons, but most would say that is really pushing it.

a few white clouds would be ok, don't be tempted to overstock such a small tank though. regular water changes will help. Charcoal isn't much use in a filter unless you are removing medication from the water.
Enjoy!!.

Pete

Hmm never considered putting shrimp in. Are they hardier or need less space?

Red Cherry Shrimp are pretty hardy and stay small. You could keep a nice colony of them, especially since you said your tank was long and low. With some plants/moss it would make nice display :)

--Adeeb

I love those bookshelf tanks..it's next on my list of tanks I want :) Most fish need at the very least a 10 gal tank, the only exception I think is the betta, which can thrive in a 5+ heated tank. I keep a nerite or mystery snail with my betta's. I've tried shrimp, another good option of a tank of that size, but they've been eaten. Some people add ADF's with their betta, that's an option you could try. IMO your tank is only big enough for 1 betta, ADF's, shrimp, snails, or a combo of these.

Shrimp would be an excellent choice for that tank. They are also a great deal of fun to watch. They seem to be able to stand a little crowding better than fish can. A betta may also be a good choice, but not with the shrimp. A betta would likely be having shrimp cocktail at the first opportunity.

A sponge filter, handful of java moss, and some cherry shrimp (or similar type) would be better than fish in anything less than 10 gallons. A dozen shrimp can become a couple hundred before you'll have to worry about them being too crowded, very low bioload.

A sponge filter, handful of java moss, and some cherry shrimp (or similar type) would be better than fish in anything less than 10 gallons. A dozen shrimp can become a couple hundred before you'll have to worry about them being too crowded, very low bioload.

I tend to agree with you. That tank is really too small for most fish to be truly happy in it. Shrimp would be much easier to take care of in it and they can be very entertaining as well.

I disagree. There are a lot of fish that are suitable for a 5 gal tank. Many are not commonly available, and I agree that most of the common fish aren't well suited... But if folks are willing to mail order, there are a lot of great options.

A volume of water less than 10 gallons isn't very stable, and even small fish like to have some room to move around. No one said it can't be done, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea...

Still disagree. Yes it can be difficult. My tanks are healthy, my fish are happy. There are fish that even fully grown have more than enough swimming room in a 5 gal tank. I agree things can happen quickly in a small tank but with regular maintenance it can be just fine. I would not automatically dismiss all fish. I would also throw out there that a 5 gal tank is not a good tank for a beginner, even though that is what often happens. Generally, the bigger the tank, the easier it will be to provide a healthy environment for fish (to a point of course). But there is nothing cruel or unhealthy about putting certain species of fish in a 5 gal tank.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am just sharing my experience.

Last edited:
Still disagree. Yes it can be difficult. My tanks are healthy, my fish are happy. There are fish that even fully grown have more than enough swimming room in a 5 gal tank. I agree things can happen quickly in a small tank but with regular maintenance it can be just fine. I would not automatically dismiss all fish. I would also throw out there that a 5 gal tank is not a good tank for a beginner, even though that is what often happens. Generally, the bigger the tank, the easier it will be to provide a healthy environment for fish (to a point of course). But there is nothing cruel or unhealthy about putting certain species of fish in a 5 gal tank.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am just sharing my experience.

Could you suggest some of these species please?

Sure,

Boraras merah
Boraras brigittae
Boraras maculatus
Boraras micros
Microdevario kubotai
Microdevario nanus

There will be some that disagree, but I also keep neon tetras in a 5 gal. The ones I currently have have never been ill, do not suffer any stunting or curvature of the spine, and have been living for 2 years. I would not go any bigger than a neon tetra through, and even neons are pushing it. My tanks are heavily planted, which breaks the tank up nicely, and offers a lot of cover, etc. YMMV of course.

/me hunkers down and awaits the stoning that will surely ensue from the stocking police :)

I will point again to the fact that there are a lot of opinions about appropriate tank size, what can and cannot be housed together, what fully stocked means, etc etc. I will say that what works for some does not work for others. 5 gal tanks are not great for a beginner, and most nano type filters are pretty inadequate for even 5 gal tanks. I run eheim canister filters on my 5 gal tanks and I do 50% weekly water changes, and daily pruning, wiping, and observation.

See I think the fish most ppl put in 10 gal communities are not really appropriate and the fish you listed are great 10 options. I don't think a 10 is great for neons..I would never in a 5. Guess I'm just more conservative when stocking those smaller tanks ;)

Yup, get that siva. Everyone is entitled to their opinions for sure! I think the boraras are safe (I worried before I got them, but they are small, not just the length, but the girth as well)... I think the neons are probably not the best idea, but like I said I haven't had trouble...

Well you would know better than I on that for sure. It's one thing to see pics and do research but you do actually have them. But I still think less than 5 gals is taboo ;) In this paticular tank, the longer 6.6 bookshelf style, I think I did overlook the little rasboras...they should be fine in there :) Man I think I'm going to have to order some of those. My lfs never has them :(

Most LFS's don't carry them unfortunately. Aquabid and HN1/Severum Mama (from the forum here) are good sources to check.

Sure,
There will be some that disagree, but I also keep neon tetras in a 5 gal. The ones I currently have have never been ill, do not suffer any stunting or curvature of the spine, and have been living for 2 years. I would not go any bigger than a neon tetra through, and even neons are pushing it. My tanks are heavily planted, which breaks the tank up nicely, and offers a lot of cover, etc. YMMV of course.

/me hunkers down and awaits the stoning that will surely ensue from the stocking police :)

I will point again to the fact that there are a lot of opinions about appropriate tank size, what can and cannot be housed together, what fully stocked means, etc etc. I will say that what works for some does not work for others. 5 gal tanks are not great for a beginner, and most nano type filters are pretty inadequate for even 5 gal tanks. I run eheim canister filters on my 5 gal tanks and I do 50% weekly water changes, and daily pruning, wiping, and observation.

I still think that shrimp would be perfect for that tank, but I do agree with what you said. Those fish would work in that tank, though I'd like a larger tank for them. Anyway, who am I to argue when the stocking police are coming for me for keeping danios in a 10-gal. :)

I would just not advise anyone new to the hobby to try this.

I still have an old metal framed 5-gal around the house somewhere that I used for still water plants. About the only time I ever was able to keep any aquatic plants alive for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom