New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, my name is Kevin, I just found my way to your site and must say it is a nice spot to hang out.

Now to my questions, I was given an 80 gallon tank, so I set it up with a emporer 400 bio wheel filter, and also using a whisper 40 filter. I have 3 small plecos, and maybe 11 other fish 3 mollies, 3 Gouramis, 5 cory cats. Hoping to get more soon. I set up the tank and let it run for almost a week(6 days) before introducing fish. no my problem is there are what seems like a million micro bubbles in the tank. What is causing that and how can I correct it. Also I am thinking of doing about 4-5 live plants in the tank, do I need a CO2 "producer" for that few of plants?

Thanx in advance
Kevin

I am just starting out, but someone more experienced than I am is going to tell you need to cycle your water and test it with a test tube tester (I just walked in from pet store with one). Though they are expensive, all the experts on the site swear by it.

You might want to check out these excellent directions:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Good luck with your fish!

I have already let the tank cycle, and checked everything before putting fish in, the fish are fine, I am just wondering what the micro bubbles are from.

right now the nitrite is at 0, and the nitrate at 20

Micro bubbles can be from a number of things... right after doing a pwc, alot of people get them (probably from the water being under pressure). They could be from the filter either cavitating, or the water level being low. There's no cause for concern there unless the filter starts making grinding noises, then you'll want to investigate.

My fear is that you did not cycle the tank. You said you only let it run for a week prior to adding fish? Unless you used the filter media, substrate, or some of the decor from an existing tank, there's no way it could have cycled in a week. Keep an eye on your ammonia, I can see lots of water changes in your future

i used some bioballs, and a scoop or 2 of the rocks from my uncles tank that had been up and running for years, thanx for the answer.

Back
Top Bottom