New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SH4N

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive bought a 45 gal tank, I did some research about what substance to use, i really liked the white pool filter sand, after asking questions and searching information about it I decided to try it, I washed the sand extremely well, its been a week and my tank is still cloudy, i've done a water change and had the filter going the whole time but it's still cloudy, is there anything I can add or do to reduce the cloudyness?

If I add all my filter media from my year established tank to my new tank am I able to introduce a fish if parameters are ok after a few days or will it still need to cycle?

Does anyone have any suggestions of some small fish that could be kept with angel fish (they are very small at the moment) i really like the "school" of tetras but was told they will eventually be eaten, i would like small fish that are bright/colourful and preferably in schools

edit: The inside corners of my tank also have what looks like "white transparent thin plastic" thats pealing off, im assuming its silicon or something, is that normal for a new tank? its just floating into the water

thanks

I would empty and refill the tank, being careful not to disturb the sand while refilling. You could put some filter floss in your filter to help catch the fine particles.

Moving a filter from an established tank will speed up or even eliminate a cycle. If you are planning on moving everything in your old tank then that should work out well. Just move the fish ad set up the old filter on the new tank at the same time.

Angels do well with many tetras, just avoid the neon, cardinals and other smaller tetras. Larger tetras, ruimmy nose and up will be fine with angels.

I did a 30% water change and then a 60%,its still slightly cloudy but looks heaps better. are rummy nose tetras good in schools?

Would it hurt putting a fish into slightly cloudy water?

I havent done any tests or anything so i guess not. thats why i asked if I use filter media from my other tank does it still need to be cycled. my sister is borrowing my test kit she will have it back by tomorrow

rich311k said:
Rummys are great in a school. Pretty fish. Is the tank cycled?

I agree! Rummy's are fantastic fish! They are so energetic, and in my case brought out some of my shy fish :) I love them!

Filter wool AKA poly fill will clear up dust pretty good, I run it all the time as a prefilter to my cartridges also filled with poly fill and I only have to change the wool out or sometimes half and disturbs the bio filter very little, if sponge and cartridge get dirty just rinse in tank water in a bucket and ur good to go, it's gods gift to aquariums lol

Ive bought a 45 gal tank, I did some research about what substance to use, i really liked the white pool filter sand, after asking questions and searching information about it I decided to try it, I washed the sand extremely well, its been a week and my tank is still cloudy, i've done a water change and had the filter going the whole time but it's still cloudy, is there anything I can add or do to reduce the cloudyness?

If I add all my filter media from my year established tank to my new tank am I able to introduce a fish if parameters are ok after a few days or will it still need to cycle?

Does anyone have any suggestions of some small fish that could be kept with angel fish (they are very small at the moment) i really like the "school" of tetras but was told they will eventually be eaten, i would like small fish that are bright/colourful and preferably in schools

edit: The inside corners of my tank also have what looks like "white transparent thin plastic" thats pealing off, im assuming its silicon or something, is that normal for a new tank? its just floating into the water

thanks

the current filter (not ur old one) is it cycled? or is it brand new? if it is brand new then the cloudiness is probably caused by bacteria bloom! just a though.

and if u add all ur old filter media to ur new filter. u wouldnt need to re-cycle, if anything u will only get mini-cycle that doesnt last long at all. just make sure u have a source of ammonia for ur bacteria to feed on or else u will lose bacteria in large numbers after a week of starvation!

and regarding ur 'white transparent thin plastic' can u post a picture of it? it helps alot!

thanks!
all the best :D :fish2:

It's brand new, I have added a source of bacteria.

Heres a picture, you can see the strip of "white" its all that plastic stuff you can see some peeling off

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SH4N said:
It's brand new, I have added a source of bacteria.

Heres a picture, you can see the strip of "white" its all that plastic stuff you can see some peeling off
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/709/img6855ux.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ahh cool ya. IMO bacteria in a bottle stuff doesn't work well. I've heard they are unstable too. So I wouldn't use them if I were u.

Hmm I think it is silicon. Not sure if u can remove it or not. I'll leave that to the pro. But it wouldnt do any harm.

Back
Top Bottom