new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peediedj67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have just bought a new tank(1st time newbie) a juwel rekord 600 (63 ltr) i havent had it delivered yet, and still have to cycle it but once ready for fish , i have a question can i keep tetras and black ruby barbs in the same tank??

Hi

I would probably be concerned about over stocking the tank bein only a 63liter tank.. Keep in mind both the fish species you have mentioned are sociable and enjoy being in schools.. So I personally would go for only one of those fish species that way you can rest assure there won't be any aggression due to lack of space and overstocking issues leading to unhealthy fish.

Just my opinion :) good luck

i gather i can have around 15-20 fish in a tank that size if i get black ruby tetras what other fish are advisable to keep with them?

peediedj67 said:
i gather i can have around 15-20 fish in a tank that size if i get black ruby tetras what other fish are advisable to keep with them?

15-20 2.5 inch fish in a 63L (17g) tank is alot. I would suggest 6-8 and maybe a small centre piece fish. What are the dimensions of your tank?

15-20 2.5 inch fish in a 63L (17g) tank is alot. I would suggest 6-8 and maybe a small centre piece fish. What are the dimensions of your tank?
Volume: approx. 63 Litres
Measurements: 61 x 31 x 42 cm

was told by local tropical fish shop(guy has 26 years experience keeping fish) 15-20 for a 54 ltr i went for a bigger one

Sorry but I think you were given bad advice....

What mumma is a good estimation of the fish you can put in.

I just read about these fish and honesty they're not suited for your tank....

They are active, schooling fish who shouldn't be kept in less than a 3 foot tank.

You can look at some tetra species and we tell you of they're a good choice for your tank :)

I just read about these fish and honesty they're not suited for your tank....

They are active, schooling fish who shouldn't be kept in less than a 3 foot tank.

You can look at some tetra species and we tell you of they're a good choice for your tank :)
i was recommended to get the following Neons, guppys cory catfish and Ottocinclus pleco

peediedj67 said:
i was recommended to get the following Neons, guppys cory catfish and Ottocinclus pleco

You could do neons, guppies, and dwarf cories.

However I wouldn't add a pleco because they get too big. And ottos need an established aquarium, IME, so i wouldn't add them.

You could do neons, guppies, and dwarf cories.

However I wouldn't add a pleco because they get too big. And ottos need an established aquarium, IME, so i wouldn't add them.
was thinking about neons 1st then adding otos at a later stage will look at dwarf corries on my lfs website

peediedj67 said:
was thinking about neons 1st then adding otos at a later stage will look at dwarf corries on my lfs website

Ok you could do 6-8 neons and 6 dwarf cories

You could add 3 ottos after the tanks been set up for a little bit, at least I think so.

The cories are under catfish.

I would go the cory school or the otto school not both. The tanks foot print isn't very big. I would go with 3 ottos IMO. Add them after 6 months + so there is a food source for them. Some ottos are wild caught and will only eat algae. Some can be difficult to supplement. You could have 10 neons and a centre piece fish like a dwarf gourami or a Betta. What is your filtration?

Back
Top Bottom