new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jblitz99

Aquarium Advice Regular
i got this tank for next to nothing and didnt really know what i wanted to do with it, ive thought a paludarium would be cool for some time now, so i thought id give it a try. Everything in here is stuff that i got from a creek bed, i dont know how any of this is going to hold up or anything. I dont know anything about plants so im hoping the old lady is going to cover that part of it. I havent added any gravel to the bottom yet cause im not even sure if im going to keep this tank like this or not. There is a huge rock in the center that i got out of my yard i dont know what kind of rock it is or if it will be ok in there or not. Anyone have any suggestions on this, i would apriciate it.
J

You can test the rock by dripping some white vinegar on it and seeing if it fizzes up. If it does, the rock in question may tend to raise the pH in the tank. Although you may be able to counteract this with some driftwood and possibly peat moss filtration. Have you thought about putting some newts and frogs in there? That might be neat. With the right combo of critters, the pH may not matter much. I think you have done a great job setting up the tank so far...it looks great!
Logan J

IF you look at the post your full tank shot thread in the showoff photo forum you will see pics of his bowfront reef.

Nothing intended,it just seems like most people start with fresh water and the like and then progress to salt/reef as their knowledge of the environments that they maintain increases.Did you start with a reef tank?To me, it's just curiousity that you would ask about rocks and plants for a new tank when you have such an awesome reef tank.Please pardon my ignorance. :oops:

I was going to do a paludarium. Here are some quick words for you. I own 2 fire bellied toads (fbt) they are great, Active in water and land. That is all that is in my 10 gallon, the reason... they emit toxins into the water making other frog species become sick. They may be rather easily acquired, but if you get that species, mind you, you may have some slim pickings. I say this because so many people get them, and want another type of frog, and get it only for it to get sick. Newts are great though!

d9hp, thanks for the advise, im probably going to go with newts. brothered, yah i started out with freshwater about 7 years ago since then ive had 3 freshwater tanks, one saltwater with fish only (which i didnt really know what i was doing with) and the reef you see in the picture. as of now i have the reef which is a 46g bf/w a 10g sump, a 75g oscar tank, a 7g bow minireef, and the 29g tank which i just set up. and a 20g which i dont know what im going to do with.

Wow you have a lot to keep up with!Have you got any pics of the other tanks?I have to say I don't know a thing about paludariums but I'm curious now.Keep us posted with your progress. :D

Back
Top Bottom