New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pstant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody. I recently bought a 10 gallon Tetra tank with a Tetra Whisper Internal filter. I've done a lot of research on everything but I just had some questions to clear a few things up as I have read conflicting information on different sites.

I have the tank ready to go with everything decorated and installed. I have a heater as well since I will be doing tropical fish. I am having some trouble deciphering the filter though. The Tetra Whisper came with a filter cartridge and black foam grid. I put the foam grid in but I have poly fiber cut to fit filter pads as opposed to the carbon pad because I don't want to have to ruin the cycle when it is time to remove the carbon pad.

My question is what exactly is this black foam grid that they gave me and do I ever replace it? Second, are the poly fiber pads ok and can I put more than one in? I read that putting more than one if I can fit it in is ok and will give more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on but I wanted to double check. I currently have 2 pads in there in addition to the black foam grid.

I am planning on doing a fishless cycle but I wanted to make sure my filter and everything was good to go in order to make the cycle run smoothly. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the response. Ok great! So it is alright to put 2 of the poly fiber pads in along with the black foam grid? And that is all I need in there?

Also, I think I understand the fishless cycle..it seems pretty straight forward. However, a lot of people mentioning using stuff from old aquariums that may have bacteria on them. And if you don't have access to that (which I don't) then some people mentioned Bio-Spara? I looked at my local pet store and they did not have any. Are either of these necessary for the cycle or will it just cycle if I am adding the ammonia? Thanks!

Pstant said:
Thanks for the response. Ok great! So it is alright to put 2 of the poly fiber pads in along with the black foam grid? And that is all I need in there?

Also, I think I understand the fishless cycle..it seems pretty straight forward. However, a lot of people mentioning using stuff from old aquariums that may have bacteria on them. And if you don't have access to that (which I don't) then some people mentioned Bio-Spara? I looked at my local pet store and they did not have any. Are either of these necessary for the cycle or will it just cycle if I am adding the ammonia? Thanks!

Hi
Neither are necessary. Have you seen this?
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom