new tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_newbie

Aquarium Advice Activist
free tank!

YAY! ..i got a free 10g tank from my cousin.. i found it in her backyard w/ gravel, a hood, light, and an UGF ..its in pretty bad shape but all it needs is some cleaning ..hope theres no leaks *fingers crossed*

well anyways ..i was thinking of making a puffer tank with it ..and i need suggestions of what to put in it ..filter, plants, heater (avg temp w/out is 76-81 F), how many puffers, tankmates ..things like that

thanks in advance :D

I realize this is in the wrong forum but you may want to check on the plant thing I belive all puffers are notorius for nipping especialy at plants.

umm my moved post doesnt seem to be working so here it is

YAY! ..i got a free 10g tank from my cousin.. i found it in her backyard w/ gravel, a hood, light, and an UGF ..its in pretty bad shape but all it needs is some cleaning ..hope theres no leaks *fingers crossed*

well anyways ..i was thinking of making a puffer tank with it ..and i need suggestions of what to put in it ..filter, plants, heater (avg temp w/out is 76-81 F), how many puffers, tankmates ..things like that

10g would be excellent for 3-4 dwarf (Malabar) puffers. Ideal temp would be 78 or so, but I would get a heater so it would be stable.

They love to sleep on plants, so you could just get silk ones, they work great, or real, whatever you want. I like a sand substrate for them because they can pick up dropped food easier than trying to get stuff from between bits of gravel.

In a tank that size I would not have any mates for the puffers. They are extremely aggressive and can do real damage. I have had luck keeping them with tiger barbs but not in a 10gal - too small for the barbs.

I think you will really enjoy them, they are extremely interesting and have great personalities, tiny though they are. Live and frozen food is probably going to be all they will eat (mine ate exclusively live snails and frozen bloodworms). They do need the snails to keep their teeth worn down, otherwise they can't close their mouths, believe it or not!

Back
Top Bottom