New Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just made a deal on craigslist for a 72 x 18 x 23. It is either a 100 gallon or 125 gallon, I am not quite sure. It is 23 inches tall including the little wooden band around the top and bottom of the tank, and 19 inches tall while only measuring the glass part. If anyone would like to chime in and correct me on this feel free.

It comes with a fx5, power head, and heater. I'm thinking of getting black sand for it because I saw some pictures of some other tanks with it and it looked pretty cool. any idea on what kind of sand is best and where I can get it cheaper in bulk?

Filtration wise I haven't decided on what else I should get. I want the water to look very clear so I wont hesitate to over filtrate. Any suggestions on some filters I should get? I have another tank with mbuna that is 120 gallon with a fx6, rena xp4 and fluval 306, they seem to be doing a good job together.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any ideas!

I use pool filter sand in all.my FW tanks..its about 6 bucks for a 50 lb bag by me..in my 20g breeder tank I have half black half tan sand mixed together it looks pretty neat

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131109_002548.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131109_002548.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 99
Oh and for a filter you could think about a canister filter..but I would recommend two whisper ex70s.

If the filter combination works in your 125 and your happy with the results then there is no reason you shouldn't use the same on the new tank.

Just made a deal on craigslist for a 72 x 18 x 23. It is either a 100 gallon or 125 gallon, I am not quite sure. It is 23 inches tall including the little wooden band around the top and bottom of the tank, and 19 inches tall while only measuring the glass part. If anyone would like to chime in and correct me on this feel free.

It comes with a fx5, power head, and heater. I'm thinking of getting black sand for it because I saw some pictures of some other tanks with it and it looked pretty cool. any idea on what kind of sand is best and where I can get it cheaper in bulk?

Filtration wise I haven't decided on what else I should get. I want the water to look very clear so I wont hesitate to over filtrate. Any suggestions on some filters I should get? I have another tank with mbuna that is 120 gallon with a fx6, rena xp4 and fluval 306, they seem to be doing a good job together.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any ideas!

I ran the measurements through aqadvisor and its around a 125, +/- 20g. If its 23 in. tall its a 125ish if its 19 in. tall its a 100ish

Last edited:
I personally like a filter on each side of the tank I think it keeps it cleaner and stuff doesn't accumilate on one side..

I ran the measurements through aqadvisor and its around a 125, +/- 20g. If its 23 in. tall its a 125ish if its 19 in. tall its a 100ish

Thanks guys! Quick question.. Fx5 flow from the bottom to the top correct?

Thanks guys! Quick question.. Fx5 flow from the bottom to the top correct?

Not exactly. The media in the filter is surrounded by foam. The water flows from the outside of the media to the inside of the media, then up.

In other words, water flows in goes around the outside of the media, then gets sucked into the media, then up the outflow.

Not exactly. The media in the filter is surrounded by foam. The water flows from the outside of the media to the inside of the media, then up.

In other words, water flows in goes around the outside of the media, then gets sucked into the media, then up the outflow.

Ok so the water goes up through the outside and then down through the center section of the media??

If you're looking for black sand look at local industrial/farming stores. They sell black diamond blasting sand that works great. Just wash it thoroughly.

Ok so the water goes up through the outside and then down through the center section of the media??

No. Down along the outside of the media, through the foam, into the biomedia, up into the pump

img_2715881_0_dc08e06fba872f358225463a7a6700c5.jpg

If you're looking for black sand look at local industrial/farming stores. They sell black diamond blasting sand that works great. Just wash it thoroughly.

I've heard that this kind of sand has small chunks of metal in it or something, and is bad for bottom dwellers. But you might have to check that.

No. Down along the outside of the media, through the foam, into the biomedia, up into the pump

It really looks like it goes down through the tube of the intake to the bottom, and then up through all the outside media, and then back down through the inside media where it gets the to motor on the bottom that pushes it out through that other tube

Here it is so far

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131110_110701.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131110_110701.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20131110_110711.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131110_110711.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom