New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drew vest6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Getting a new tank in the oncoming week. Any tips on how to start the nitrogen cycle and to get it to cycle quicker? It will be holding central/South American cichlids

I would either put a few hearty fish in such as feeders. They will take care of the cycle by themselves. Or you can add PURE household ammonia. This will help grow the bacteria. I always use the ammonia as it shortens the process by about a week. Either way works. Just do a water test once a week to monitor your levels.

I would either put a few hearty fish in such as feeders. They will take care of the cycle by themselves. Or you can add PURE household ammonia. This will help grow the bacteria. I always use the ammonia as it shortens the process by about a week. Either way works. Just do a water test once a week to monitor your levels.

So mix PURE ammonia with the water to cycle it? Any specific amount

Enough to get ammonia up to 2ppm. Then wait for the levels to drop, and the nitrite to rise. Add more ammonia to get it up to 2 ppm. Keep adding small doses of ammonia to feed bacteria. Do a 75% water change then add fish

Yes just read through those stickies and then decide if you want to go fishless or fish-in.

Or use google that was the advice you gave to the guy trying to sex his JD's. In your words "why should I do the work for him"

Besides 29 is to small for most SA/CA cichlids except Dwarfs, Cons, Firemouths, got to get back on that google.

Or use google that was the advice you gave to the guy trying to sex his JD's. In your words "why should I do the work for him"

Besides 29 is to small for most SA/CA cichlids except Dwarfs, Cons, Firemouths, got to get back on that google.

Huh?????

OP is a rude punk kid. I was just giving him the same advice he has given other people. He tells people to "go on google why should we do the work for you"

2 wrongs don't make a right though. No need to do or say that because someone else did. I did read that thread. Treat others how you wanna be treated not how they treat you.

2 wrongs don't make a right though. No need to do or say that because someone else did. I did read that thread. Treat others how you wanna be treated not how they treat you.

I know, just thought this might make him think twice next time.

OP is a rude punk kid. I was just giving him the same advice he has given other people. He tells people to "go on google why should we do the work for you"
Man talk about harassment. I was voicing MY opinion that he should learn how to do it and do it himself, I wasn't trying to be rude; I guess he read it like I was. I am sorry for you that you feel you need to bash people for what you weren't involved in. What are you, aquarium advice police? Why don't you stay out of other peoples business, and stop being a jerk, because you gave me a bad reputation on AA because of your big mouth, when I simply worded something wrong. So bug off you prick.

Thank you jwh0818

Man talk about harassment. I was voicing MY opinion that he should learn how to do it and do it himself, I wasn't trying to be rude; I guess he read it like I was. I am sorry for you that you feel you need to bash people for what you weren't involved in. What are you, aquarium advice police? Why don't you stay out of other peoples business, and stop being a jerk, because you gave me a bad reputation on AA because of your big mouth, when I simply worded something wrong. So bug off you prick.

Like I said. 2 wrongs don't make a right. It won't stop till you stop and it's better left alone. I would stop before a real mod see's

Like I said. 2 wrongs don't make a right. It won't stop till you stop and it's better left alone. I would stop before a real mod see's

Ok thanks... I know I just feel that I'm not going to be pushed around because I'm a newby. I might be new, but that doesn't mean I don't know anything

Just take a look at these articles and choose what you prefer. If you have any problems just report to a moderator. A list of mods is available on the main forum website in your browser. Sorry this happened but also take a look at the forum rules for a bit more help and how to stay outta trouble

Ok thanks you've been very helpful

Back
Top Bottom