Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Spintc
New Tank

we just got our first 20 gallon tank. we tested the water today and it was perfect so we went to the fish store and got 6 starter fish. all the fish are doing great except for one of the guppies. he is staying in the corner and at the top of the tank. does this mean that he is not well?

thanks for your help. we are new at being fish parents!

Old 11-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
When you tested the water, what exactly did you test for? Do you have test kits for ammonia and nitrite? Since I don't know whether you are familiar with cycling the tank, I'm not sure exactly what info to offer. If you're not familiar with the cycle, there is a good article in the articles section of this site. What kinds of fish did you buy?
My initial guess is that your guppy is having trouble acclimating to the new tank. Is he eating?
WELCOME to AA.com!!

Old 11-10-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks for the reply Logan. We filled our tank on Monday and put in Nov Aqua. We took a sample to the fish store for testing and they tested for everything and said our tank was ready for fish.

We have 2 guppies, 2 bali sharks, 2 kribensis. We also have a 3 gallon with a betta fish. He was our first fish and was the reason we went for a 20 gallon. I never thought I could love fish so much!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bala Sharks get 12inches i hope you know.

Kribensis breed very readily in captivtiy and though peaceful by nature if they spawn which they very likely will they will kill every other fish in your tank.

Dan
Old 11-12-2004, 08:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
A tank wont cycle in a week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would trade in the fish mentioned above for some more guppies.

Also, for the health of your fish, read up on the cycling process - that's more important than you can imagine.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

we mage the mistake of going to our local petco. they did not provide us with the best advice and pinted out the "starter fish" for our tank. we went to a fish only store today and found out about the bali sharks and how big they get. i think we will be trading in them for other fish. I am confused about the cycling process as both places have told us how to set up our tank and told us not to clean the tank for a few more weeks and at that point we will bring them a sample for testing.

should we be doing something different?
Old 11-13-2004, 01:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

[center:ebda3835f6] Weclome to AA, Spintc!! [/center:ebda3835f6]
This link explains cycling and the nitrogen cycle:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...r=asc&start=10

Quote:
we went to a fish only store today and found out about the bali sharks and how big they get. i think we will be trading in them for other fish.
This is a good idea, but do not get more fish right now.
Quote:
I am confused about the cycling process as both places have told us how to set up our tank and told us not to clean the tank for a few more weeks and at that point we will bring them a sample for testing.
Sort of
The link I gave above should help, and there is an article in the Articles section on the nitrogen cycle. After you read over those, please ask if there is anything you do not understand. It is also a good idea to have your own test kits--they will help now and in the future.
In the meantime, you have:
Quote:
2 guppies, 2 bali sharks, 2 kribensis.
I don't believe guppies are the hardiest of fish to cycle with and the kribs may or may not do well. One of our members works at Petsmart or PetCo and said their store takes back fish within a reasonable amount of time. Although you can cycle with fish, you do not have the strongest fish, IMO.

About the betta--are you planning on adding him to the 20 gal?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Petsmart: 14 day return policy, Petco: 15 day return policy (Last I checked)
- 30-40 Zebra Danios
- 7 Orange Von Rio Tetras
- 3 Otos
- 1 Bamboo Shrimp

20 Gallon Menagerie
- 4 German Blue Rams (2 Males, 2 Females)
- 1 Dwarf Puffer
- 1 Clown Pleco
- 1 Candy Stripe Goby

5 Gallon Eclipse
- 1 Female Betta
- 2 Otos
- 1 Ghost Shrimp
Maillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the info on cycling. I wish I would have joined this group prior to getting the fish in the tank. I did a test last night on the ammonia, nitrate and ph and all levels were good.

I have not put my betta in the 20 gallon tank and plan to keep him in the 3 gallon tank.

Everyone here is great! Thanks for all of the posts and help. I have a feeling I will be asking a ton of questions in the upcoming weeks.

hope you all have a great weekend.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I did a test last night on the ammonia, nitrate and ph and all levels were good.
They are not showing yet, but they will~be prepared to do water changes to being the levels down when needed.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

After spending time here at AA I believe the most important purchase for a new tank is a really good test kit.

Dep
Old 11-28-2004, 10:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would like to offer one more suggestion. When you return the fish to Petco, ask to speak with the manager and express your displeasure with the poor advice they have given. Explain politely that Petco is hurting its business by not having informed employees, because the goal of any LFS should be to create hobbyists, who will spend a lot of money for years, as opposed to just selling a single fish tank or fish.

I am running out of patience with some of these pet shops. Which is worse... a telemarketer or an unknowlegable pet shop employee? I encourage everyone to speak up when they hear bad advice at an LFS. There is never a reason to be rude, but the consumer has the right to know the truth about the product (fish) they are buying.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Umberle
yup I had a rough time of my start because a of a local petsmart but they seem to have reformed. I just heard one of the employees steering an over excited kid away from a discus... it's a start. The point is, complaining does create change on occasion.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com