New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitzo77

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few months ago I picked up this tank from someone who was throwing it away and brought it back to life.
I think it is around 45-50 gal but I'm not too sure.
IMG_6818.jpg
IMG_7287.jpg
IMG_7327.jpg

I just filled it up Wednesday and recently added the water from my Betta's waterchange to get the bacteria going. The betta is in a 5 gal tank, last time I tested his water shown ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

IMG_7328.jpg
Today I tested the water and read little ammonia.
How long does it normally take to start reading nitrite and nitrate?

You won't have started a bacteria colony by using water from your other tank. Very little bacteria is present in the water column; most is in/on filter media, with some present in substrate, decor, etc.
In your new tank, you'll need to add a source of ammonia to get your bacteria started, then it will take several weeks until your cycle is complete and ready for fish. Sorry. It's a slow process and I know it's hard to be patient.
You could add filter media from your other tank to get a jump-start, but it will still be a slow process getting a good colony of bacteria in your new, larger tank.

So you think I could I take gravel from my other tanks to speed it up a little?

Gravel won't hurt, but your best bet is established filter media, with porous rocks and driftwood coming in second.

Back
Top Bottom