New Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToastyHippie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! After a tragedy, including changing to this new tank and my fish ending up on the floor when a table fell, I'm looking to get new fish! My tank is 20 gallons, I believe it's 12" in length, 24" in width and 16" tall! I'm running a bio filter in it. I'd like to get another betta as I have an attachment to them. I need advice! My previous betta was very laid back, I had him for four years, and didn't attack other tank mates! Would Shrimp most likely work with another betta? Or, what other tank mates would work? I really would love to have ghost shrimp again

I kept a betta with community fish for years never had any problems , as with shrimp I don't have any idea if there would be a issue , I'm sure someone will chime in with that answer
welcome to the forums

Thank you! So far, according to Aqadvisor, my stock should be okay with

6x Bloodfin Tetra
1x Betta male
1x Mystery Snail
1x Nerite snail

While still leaving me with a filtration capacity of 197%
And my stocking level is at 62%

your 2 snails I wouldn't even count them on your bio load , have you ever thought of a female betta to keep the male company.

your 2 snails I wouldn't even count them on your bio load , have you ever thought of a female betta to keep the male company.

I heard you have to be very careful about combining them? Since they will still fight each other?

I just googled about the male and female you are right , hey I learned something :D
they can be put together for a short time just for mating ,
the article also said if adding a betta to a community tank to add it last to reduce aggression ,

All Bettas have their own personality. Sometimes all goes well and sometimes it SEEMS fine and then all of a sudden the Betta goes on a killing spree. There are some really beautiful female Bettas too an very fun in a community tank. Also not all the females are friendly, again depends on personality.

I've had my betta in a small community for six months now and he's been fine. But as said above, they do have their own personalities so you never know.

Regarding the shrimp, I had five RCS with my betta for months without issue. But then one week he ate them all. Not really an issue to me, but if you worry about losing the shrimp it is a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom