New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scooterlindy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I'm extremely new to being a fish mom - I had betas when I was younger but that's been 20+ years ago. My dad retired and when he moved out of his office he had one lone fish, Stewart - who is a black skirt tetra, I believe based on my looking at pictures from the internet- left in his tank. Since my Dad is traveling a lot, I volunteered to take Stewart home. I brought his aquarium home (a 12 Gallon Nano Cube) and set it up and I have since gotten Stewart a friend - another tetra. I really enjoy this little guys and I decided to get them a bigger tank - so after some research, I got a 20 gallon Marina LED tank kit. I have it all set up in the new location and am allowing the water to get to the perfect conditions. However, the day the new tank arrived (Saturday) the filter pump in the Nano Cube stopped working - I've pulled it apart, checked it over and it just seems to be dead. I plan on eventually making the nano cube a beta tank but for now, Stewart and his buddy (who doesn't have a name yet) are still in the Nano Cube. My question is, is there any way to "speed" up the cycling process so that I can move them soon - the Nano cube is getting dirtier from the filter not working. I did a partial water change but it's still just not looking as nice as I'd like for them - I do have an air stone in the tank w/them. I'm also testing their water every other day to make sure the levels stay where they need to be - it was high in ammonia yesterday but I treated the water and today it's back down. I don't want to stress them by moving them too quickly but I don't want to stress them by leaving them in an unfiltered tank either. The new tank came w/Aqua Plus Water Treatment and Fluval Cycle Biological Supplement and I tested the water last night - the ph was a little high but otherwise the rest of the tests came back within normal limits - I treated for the high ph and I'll test that water again tonight when I get home. I set the new tank up Sunday (10/15) evening. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You can get a water sample from a friend with a cycled tank or a piece of his/her filter; that will speed up the cycling.But be patient, it will take 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile, keep changing the water in the nano cube. I'm not a fan of treating water to change the pH or reduce the ammonia. Better to just change the water - unless your water source is a problem. Meanwhile, get a new hob filter, they are cheap.

Just take the filter media from the 12 gallon and put it into the media compartment for the 20 gallon one. Basically just let it run for about an hour with the media from the 12 in it and the bacteria will transfer over and it'll be cycled

And if it had a biological supplement and there was no ammonia you're fine to transfer them, cycling is only to get the nitrite and ammonia to 0 and once they're there you're all set

Ok, I'm testing the water again right now to make sure it's all good. I'll transfer the filter media and some of their decorations as well. I've become quite fond of these two and don't want to harm them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah for sure! and get like 4+ more because tetras like to be in groups and your tank can definitely handle it!

Yes, my plan is to get some more fish and a snail or two once I get this tank up and running. My ph is still high - 7.6ppm, but everything else came out fine.

Back
Top Bottom