New Tank and Filter Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmurray17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

So I have just inherited a 4 foot (350 litre) tank that's been sitting on a front porch for almost 10 years! I have cleaned and checked for cracks and have put in gravel and filled with water this afternoon.

The tanks I have had in the past have all had built in filters in the lids so I have absolutely no idea about what light or filter to buy.

I will have plants but it won't be an aquascape as such, I don't think I'm experienced enough yet, so just need a light that will be sufficient for the fish (cichlids).

I will have rocks and cichlids in the tank with a few catfish (either feather fin or pictus) any input on those is welcome :) still deciding my combinations of cichlids ATM.

But the main question is what filter should I be looking for and as far as cycling goes fish less or fish in cycle??

Sorry for the vague questions and any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you in advance.

That's sweet! Make sure it doesn't leak and check out canister filters. That's my next move towards the 125! Always searching CL!

Anyone know how many LPH or wattage I should be looking for in a canister filter for a 75gal /300 litre tank??

Found one on eBay at 30W and 1200 lph? Only $60 AUS.....I've seen them up to $500 so a bit reluctant to dive in just because the price is low but I have nothing to compare it too?

If you want to grow plants, 1.5 watts per gallon would be a could amount (about 110 watts altogether)

Back
Top Bottom