Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Yes that's correct. How much ammonia did you dose to get 1 ppm?
I dosed about 7 mL to get 4 ppm then after 18 hours it was down to 1 ppm. I dosed 4 mL to get it back up to 4 ppm was when I posted yesterday.

I think the ammonia I found is pretty deluded, it is taking more to dose it than more sites say it should.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's pretty accurate. I was thinking it would take 5 mL. You should have more nitrates if it is converting that much Ammonia.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #23

Quote:
I think it's pretty accurate. I was thinking it would take 5 mL. You should have more nitrates if it is converting that much Ammonia.
Tonightís readings are: pH 7.4, ammonia 2 ppm (this was a little hard to tell tonight), nitrite 0 ppm, and nitrAte 5 ppm (maybe a little more, but less than 10 ppm).

I am going to dose to 4 ppm again. Do these readings sound right? Are we moving in the right direction?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya those readings are fine for now. I'm not understanding where the ammonia is going but keep dosing to keep it between 2-4 ppm. It may take a couple weeks to really see any changes.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Ya those readings are fine for now. I'm not understanding where the ammonia is going but keep dosing to keep it between 2-4 ppm. It may take a couple weeks to really see any changes.
Sounds good. I didnít have time to use the kit this morning, but wanted to check so I used the Tetra easy strips. Ammonia 3 ppm, nitrite 1 ppm, and nitrAte 20 ppm. The readings are quite different than the readings from the kit last night.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you shake/bang the heck out of the #2 nitrate test bottle?
Old 06-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Did you shake/bang the heck out of the #2 nitrate test bottle?
Yes, I did last night. This morning I just used the strips since I was under a time crunch. Iíll check using the kit/tubes again tonight after work.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #28

Tonight’s readings done with API kit 22 hours after dosing ammonia to 4 ppm - pH 7.4, ammonia about 3 ppm (between 2 and 4 on the API kit), nitrite 0.5 ppm, and nitrAte between 5 and 10 ppm.

Should I add any ammonia tonight, or just leave it as is and check again tomorrow?
Old 06-21-2019, 02:55 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leave it. Usually when it drops to like 1 ppm I'll dose back up. Good to see things are moving along now.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:06 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The death of the fish so quickly is very strange and not normal. Even with a brand new tank. When you feel ready to add fish again, just to be safe add at most 2 INEXPENSIVE and hardy fish (danios are relatively hardy and cheap). Be very careful not to overfeed your fish especially before the tank is cycled.

If you want to cycle the tank faster, you can get some live plants or driftwood (or even gravel) that were obtained from an already established aquarium.

Tags
dyi, dying, fish, new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com