New tank and Melody

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian Lavin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys I enjoy your forum. I am learning a little each time I visit. This is my "Fly River Turtle" and my new tank to house her.

The tank is still cycling but the turtle is not sensitive to the process.

Attachments

• frt_007_137.jpg
    frt_007_137.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 21
  • frt_012_800.jpg
    frt_012_800.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 22
  • frt_023-2_334.jpg
    frt_023-2_334.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 28
  • frt_021_669.jpg
    frt_021_669.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 22
Cool turtle. :)

Turtles are not as sensitive as fish in regards to ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc. but they still should be monitored to make sure they don't get too high. I didn't cycle either of my 2 turtle tanks that I had mine in, and they are just fine.

Are you going to add anything else to the tank or leave it as is? I like it!

Cool, what kind of filter you have on that tank? They can get rather messy

I have two filters attached to this 60 Gallon tank. I have one Marineland hang off style for up to 70 gals and a Fluval 305 so I am filtering with a 140 gallon capacity.

This turtle does require 8.2 ph and about 80-84 degrees. She eats like a hog and yes they do grow rather large. I am prepared to upgrade the tank in a year or so to 120 gals to keep here comfortable.

If you ever have the chance to buy a Fly river turtle dont hesitate they are beyond awesome.

We all love her very much!

What kind of personality does she have? Come to the surface to interact with you? Are they entirely aquatic, or do you intend to build her a landing to get out of the water and bask?

Devilishturtles said:
Turtles are not as sensitive as fish in regards to ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc. but they still should be monitored to make sure they don't get too high. I didn't cycle either of my 2 turtle tanks that I had mine in, and they are just fine.

thanks for sharing that info.

jamesrm said:
What kind of personality does she have? Come to the surface to interact with you? Are they entirely aquatic, or do you intend to build her a landing to get out of the water and bask?

We have only know each other for a couple of weeks now so I can only answer your question about personality with limited experience. I can tell you that she knows us all and when we come in the room she likes us to stop and pay her some attention. She swims back and fourth eyeballing us. I believe this is sometimes in hope I will feed her. She can be playful and she likes to bury herself in sand as well as flap it around. I am hoping to catch this on film.

They are full aquatic and in fact are they only freshwater turtles in this world that are.

She is truly adorable!

All aqautic? That is really interesting. I am a big turtle fan and I knew that most species appertiated a ledge and a nice warm lamp from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom