New tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all, I'm in the process of a new tank build. As of right now, all I know is it's going to be freshwater. It's a 37gal with a Fluval 306 filter. I have 40lbs of coralsea Sahara cichlid sand, an assortment of rocks blown glass fragments, and petrified wood. My delimma is this, I can't make up my mind on the type and species of fish to stock it with. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm looking for some size and color. It was originally going to be a reef tank until I realized it would have everything hanging off of it as its not a reef ready one. That's next down the road by the way. My other tank right now is a 55gal with 7 cichlids, 1 rubber lip plecostimus, and 1 African feather fin catfish.

Rummy Nose Tetras
Neon Tetras
Cardinal Tetras

There is plenty more different tetra types and they are best kept in a group of 6 and more :)

They look better that way to :)
If you havent seen them before just type in the suggestions I gave you :)

Thanks Aston !

Here are a couple of pics of the new build

Attachments

• image-301314298.jpg
    image-301314298.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image-554804581.jpg
    image-554804581.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1957098055.jpg
    image-1957098055.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2023061111.jpg
    image-2023061111.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 83
Tank looks great!

There are plenty of options including:

Cardinal tetras
Bristlenose Plecos
Smaller gouramis
Rummynose tetras
Glowlight tetras
danios
Male platies

You have loads of options! What sort of fish are you after?

I'm thinking some barbs, angels, and red tipped sharks, not sure though yet. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

After looking at all the tetra options, I might just have to go in that direction. The benefit of being able to have more of them in the tank is a major plus.

The tetras would be nice as you could have a large schools f them in there! Your tank looks fab btw :)

Thank you. It was a longtime in planning. I've had the tank for about 4 months just waiting to find the right stand, one the wife approved of, and then searching for the rocks I wanted. Once you find everything though, it seem like it goes oftener to quick, kind of ani-climatic, but it is nice to know that others think its as nice as I do, so thank you.

We are cycled!!!! Now to figure out what to put in it. I'm thinking that I'm going to go with some barbs. I don't want to overstock at first and overwhelm my bb. How many would everyone recommend? It's a 37 gal tall.

Got any pictures?? You may need to up the Cory numbers to get better behaviour out of them :)

Adding today (acclimating as I write this) 4 more pepper cory's, 2 more angels, and 6 rosey barbs. I believe the rosey's are 3 male/3 female. Pictures will be coming soon.

i would add fish SLOWLY and take an ammonia reading daily to see if your tank might mini-cycle from adding that many fish. usually it's a good idea to add fish every week and let the cycle catch up with the bio load. you have the fish now so be very watchful of the water parameters in the next week or so. if you do have a rise in ammonia partial water changes will keep you on top of it and keep the fish living and healthy until water params return to normal. that being said, post those pictures! good luck. :)

+1 for keeping an eye on yr parameters. I bet you've noticed a difference in the Cory behaviour though! :)

I appreciate the heads up. And I have every intention of keeping track of everything. Here are a couple of pictures, but they aren't the best. The little buggers are quick and camera shy. Hopefully they will settle in soon and slow down a little.

image-1730296310.jpg

image-1102919975.jpg

image-1743968124.jpg

image-1238104931.jpg

image-3524410138.jpg

image-2515218376.jpg

image-1569266762.jpg

I appreciate the heads up. And I have every intention of keeping track of everything. Here are a couple of pictures, but they aren't the best. The little buggers are quick and camera shy. Hopefully they will settle in soon and slow down a little.

View attachment 91878

View attachment 91879

View attachment 91880

View attachment 91881

View attachment 91884

View attachment 91883

View attachment 91882

Looks good. Are you planning on getting more fish for the tank, or are ya done for now?

P.S. I really like Peppered Cories, very pretty and different from the others. I also enjoy the look of the Zygatus Cories, a thick black stripe on the top of the body, and on both sides. Cories are pretty, hardy, and one of the best cleanup crews I have ever seen! Good luck!

For a couple of weeks at least. I don't want to risk overloading the BB. When I tested the parameters last night, ammonia was at .25. Did a PWC, so hopefully that will last until I get home Friday. Currently there are 4 angels, 6 Cory's, 4 green tiger barbs, and 6 rosey barbs. All are real small right now, the biggest being 2 of the angels which are about quarter ($.25) size.

Back
Top Bottom