New tank buy list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PotRoastMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a 29gal with hood/stand/light..
Planning to buy these, any suggestions?

Sand substrate (hope depot)
ebo jager 150 watt heater
fluval 204 canister filter (any reason to go for 304?)
various silk plants
thermometer
water test kit
a few decoative rocks (found in lake, river, etc)
siphon vacuum, a couple 5 gal buckets, net.
What chemicals, if any, do i need?

Fish coming later.. looking at gaurami, pleco, rainbow, tetras, and a couple german blue rams.

"Prime" to condition the tank water is often recommended for fresh water tanks.

It may not be safe to put things found outside into your tank. If you do, wash it very thoroughly. Also live plants have many benefits such as taking the carbon dioxide out and shelter for fish. Undergravel filters with a power head provide extra filtration. Gradually add your fish (like 2 or 3 a week) to prevent problems. I recommend buying a aquarium book for reference too. :D Wait 24 hours before adding fishies.

Read about fishless cycling - definitely the way to go and will create great quantities of bacterial colonies to accommodate your fish when you get them.

Either boil the rocks for 15 minutes or soak them in water with bleach.
Get a bottle of dechlorinator.
Do a PH and GH test to see what kind of tap water you have. Research the fish you plan to have and make sure they will be happy with the water. Some tetras like soft acidic water.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=11504 . here you will find links to fish profiles.

PotRoastMan said:
and a couple german blue rams.

From my experience, Blue Rams can be really sensative due to their inbreeding. Make sure you have relatively soft water.

Do fishless cycling , it really helps - from my experience. Dechlorinator is a must.
Aquarium salt perhaps ? stress coat?

Skip the siphon and buckets and splurge on a Python. You'll love yourself for it. It makes changing water a piece of cake and is truly an indispensible item to have around. I've never kept rams, but I kept Angels for a while and knowing how sensitive they are, it might be a good idea to age the tank with other fish for about 6 months to even a year and then return the other fish to the petstore and then get your rams. I know that Angels do best in a well established tank. I think the same would go for rams...correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, you're right.

I actually use the old fashion way because I soften my water with RO water. I just like the old syphon way better I guess. Let's me see better what kind of material I am getting out. I also keep my tanks fairly well balanced so water changes are only every couple weeks. No big deal.

As far as water goes, I've got all kinds. I've got hard water available from the outside faucet, soft water indoors, and a RO system for drinking water...! I was planning to use soft water from the tap.

Back
Top Bottom