New Tank Cloudy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all;
I am a newbie to this forum but not to fish. I worked in a LFS for several years in my teens (long time ago!) but have forgot a lot.

I am setting up a 30 Gallon Hex tank. I put the water in it Friday, and went to set up the filter -it didn't work so the tank is sitting with water but no filtration. I did put in lots of gravel which was used and quite dirty. I rinsed and rinsed the gravel but I'm not sure if I got it totally clean.

Anyhow my question: The water is kind of hazy? Will this go once I get it moving with a filter? (I've ordered a new one). I've never had cloudy water before. I did add Chlor out to the tank (probably unnecessary) . Can I start the cycle without filtration? I intend to move the sole inhabitant of a 5 hex -a betta to this tank. I figure I should probably move him and the water and plants all together when this tank is ready.

Carolyn

the bacteria you need to run a cycle are aerobic, so no you can't cycle without filtration. And you need to provide a substrate (ammonia) to get the cycle running. You can do this w/o fish (I believe there's a link on this website on how to do this) or with some fish that are able to tolerate adverse water conditions until the biological filter is established.

Does this explain the cloudy?

Ok tank is not cycling until I get filtration working. Would this account for the cloudiness?

Carolyn

treedae is absolutely right nothing will happen until your new filter arrives!! and that is the reason for the cloudiness,or its because the gravel wasnt cleaned completely.

Could be just tiny air bubbles being released as the water settles and warms up.
Or it could be a bacteria bloom.
Or it could be the the gravel wasnt clean.

I think it's the gravel, now what?

The gravel was pretty dirty. I rinsed it cupful by cupful but I stirred up the aquarium today with a siphon and there was a lot of debris. I siphoned off 5 gallons and added new water today. I guess I'll do that until the gravel is clean and hope the haze goes away. I would have thought the haze would have settled if it was debris in the gravel but we'll see.

Carolyn

Once you get the filter going, all the debris is going to disappear quickly. And since you're not going to be able to get a biological filter started (and therefore not be able to add fish) until you get the mechanical filter going, just hang that puppy and let er rip.

Back
Top Bottom