New Tank components

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workfortheman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm setting up a new tank to combine my 2-20gallon tanks. It will have power compacts (2x55watts), co2, and pmdd (eventually). I have 2 questions.

First is co2 stuff. I've decided to use a simple (no solenoid) setup, with dual gage regulator, needle valve, check valve, diffusor (getting tank locally). My question is if anyone has good advice on where to get these components? Can they be distributed for use in a beverage/welding system, or should they be specific to aquariums? Any particular items of interest to make sure I get (ie pressure ranges, valve sensitivity, reliability)? Thinking about Ebay. . .seems best prices on the net.

Second, the substrate. I currently have 4 different kinds of substrate with varying types/sizes. I am considering this setup: have "aged" sand for a first layer, followed by a bag of flourite red, followed by 1" of 2mm gravel (laterite enriched 1 year ago), followed by inert ~3-4mm natural estes gravel. What are the advantages/disadvantages of such a stratified substrate? Is it do-able? I figure having mature sand/gravel for some of it will help initially. Should I still add plant tabs regardless of the flourite?

I've done quite a lot of reading on both these subjects, just looking for personal opinions at this point. . .

Whew, that's a long one. And to think, this is only the beginning o_O
thanks in advance.

1. doesn't have to be specific to aquariums. any good beverage grade regulator will work. the important part is to get a high quality Clippard needle valve, as the regulator won't be able to dial down low enough for aquarium use.. the needle valve has to do that.

2. just about any layered substrate will simply mix over time...especially waht you've described since it's basically sand, and then gravel, some gravel, and some gravel (all roughly the same size) If you're not going to use at least 50% flourite in your substrate mix, you should just skip it. less than 50% and its diluted down to the point where its not very effective, and just becomes a money sink.

Hmmm good advice about 50% flourite, guess I should go get another bag (since I already got one on sale).

Any advice on finding a reliable/inexpensive Needle valve?

Also, in my experience substrate media will always "settle"; the smallest grains will go to the bottom, largest to the top. Is this what you mean, or are you saying that they will mix together with some sand ending up at the surface?

Thanks for a quick response Malkore-

I wish I had a metric ruler so I could visualize the sizes of your layers above the flourite. If they are too similar in size and density, they'll freely mix. Since sand is soo vastly different, it does settle and stay layered. However the other three grain sizes you have seem too close to one another and will probably mix.

4mm gravel seems large for planted tanks, but I could be wrong since I can't accurately picture the size.

Back
Top Bottom