New tank cycle with seeded filter material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulG5372

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm helping out a friend set up a new aquarium. It is a ten gallon tank. She has had fish before but had gotten rid of them for a while. Since we're a few hours apart, I'm trying to help get it set up without making a ton of trips to help.

My idea is to help get it cycled with a seeded filter pad and sponge that have been in my established 20 gallon tank for a few months, but I've never had any direct experience with this as I've always fish less cycled my tanks without seeded material.

Would it be ok to get the tank all set up, up to temperature and add the seeded material with maybe a couple of fish to get started? I'd make sure the friend is monitoring water conditions daily and doing water changes of course to keep the water parameters correct. Any other advice on the best way to help is also appreciated!

Last edited:
Yes, this sounds fine! Just make sure you transport the media in a bag of tank water to keep it viable. Make sure she stocks slowly & gradually so the bacteria have a chance to establish themselves & adjust to increases in the bioload. Daily monitoring and water changes if needed to keep toxins under control if there are any spikes. Great job helping her out!! :)

Back
Top Bottom