New tank cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gauriemma said:
Yes they are climbing. Ammonia at 0, ph at 8, nitrAtes 5, nitrItes are at around 1ppm nice purple in api kit. What now? Oh yea i also had a local cichlid store whom ive know for years he breeds them he gave me a seeded filter its on of those grey round tube like sponges that you put in the tank with an air hose inside he said this should help what do you guys think. should i do a pwc.?

I'd suggest doing a water change ASAP if the no2 is at 1ppm. My goal would be to keep it at or below .25 at all times. Personally I'd knock out two back to back 50% pwc's, or one large 75% with some Seachem Prime, test in the morning and do another if necessary.

Can't remember if I've linked this already...but check it out-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

gauriemma said:
Just did 50% pwc nitrites down to .50 . should i do another one? This wont hurt my cycle will it?

If you're using Seachem Prime it will neutralize up to a certain level of no2 (I know it's up to 1ppm for ammonia...not sure for no2). If it's below that level, you've just done a water change and used Prime, it's not as big of a deal, but I wouldn't let it climb any higher. I'm a very cautious person when it comes to my fish...so I would personally do another 50% change. If you are not using Prime or another conditioner which neutralizes no2...I'd definitely do another pwc now.

gauriemma said:
Just did 50% pwc nitrites down to .50 . should i do another one? This wont hurt my cycle will it?

You should of done a bigger water change. I prefer to do a big water change than to do multiple water changes in a day but I'm sure a lot people will tell you to go and do it.

And no, it will have no negative effect on your cycle. There is virtually no beneficial bacteria in the actual water column.

Ok i see i should of done like 70%. Ill do another 50% tomorrow. Thanks guys. Being as i have no ammonia and some nitrAtes with my nItrites spikeing does it mean im almost done cycling

Back
Top Bottom