New tank cycling querry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I brought a new interpet fish pod 65liter tank and am now on the 19th day of fish cycling
I have got
2x plates
2x neon tetras
Which get feed small amounts once every other days and have 3 live plants to help with 32.85ppm nitrate level in my tape water source

I am doing 20-30% water change when necessary to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels below 0.25ppm
My readings for the past week have been

Day12
Ammonia 0.50,
Nitrite 0.50
Nitrate 0.20-0.30ppm (assumed live plants was working)
30% water change(treated with tetra aquasafe)

Day13
Ammonia 0.25-0.50 (about 0.30ppm)
Nitrite 0.50ppm
Nitrate not tested
30% water change( treated)

Day 14
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.30ppm
Nitrate not tested
Treated with interpet filter start as recommend on schedule in the bottle

Day 15
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrite 0.50
50% water change (treated)

Day 16
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 0.30ppm

Day 17
Ammonia 0.30-0.50
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 0.20ppm
25% water change (treated)
Filter start added

Day 18
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite about 0.15
Nitrate 0.30ppm
Couldn't justify a water change seeing as my tape water is 32.85ppm nitrate anyway.

Day 19
Ammonia about 0.40
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.40ppm
25% water change just done.

The water has been a constant 24c and the ph is 7.8

Could some one please look at these reading and inform me if the are normal or am I doing something wrong

I would predicate any feedback as this is my first new tank cycle

Is it 40ppm nitrate or .4? You are cooking I think you have ways to go yet but you are producing nitrites so the cycle is progressing.

Everything looks good for a fish-in cycle. Since you're being responsible and doing the required water changes to keep your fish healthy, you're not really going to see too high of a no2 spike before it drops...I'd say to keep doing what you're doing. Just keep the ammo under .25. I'd suggest using Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator if your lfs sells it. I'd also recommend against using the "instant cycling" chemicals. They tend to produce a much less stable bio-filter in the long run and you're better off colonizing your own nitrifying bacteria like you're doing right now.

Mr. Limpet said:
Looks pretty good to me and I'd say you're close to, if not done with the cycle. Here's a link that might help answer unasked questions.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

True, it could be done with the no2 drop. Have you tested the tap water for ammonia? That could be where your ammo reading is coming from after pwc's. It's also really hard to tell the exact ammo amount when the levels are that low.

Thank you for all very much for all the replies I have received

I will Stop using the filter start, and I must admit I have been a little concerned about using it and would like to do things with as little chemicals as possible.
I have read that prime is better than aquasafe so I will probably go and get some.
Thank again it has eased my concerns

QUOTE="rich311k"]Is it 40ppm nitrate or .4? You are cooking I think you have ways to go yet but you are producing nitrites so the cycle is progressing.[/QUOTE]

I am using API freshwater master test kit and on the colour chart reading top to bottom is
0 ppm
5.0 ppm
10 ppm
20 ppm
40 ppm
80 ppm
160 ppm

So I just stated what's on the chart. I am aware that high nitrate although not immediately hazardous to the fish there can be long term issues that I may need to address. My plane is to wait until my tank is cycled then slowly add fish and live plants to combat the nitrates. If the ammonia is Bering sorted by the bio filter the it should force the plants to use the nitrates.

I await in anticipation.

Tap water tested after aquasafe treatment and left to stand for 12 hours + was
Ammonia 0.15-0.20
Nitrites 0
Nitrates between 20ppm and 40ppm
I have also ensured that I was shaking the bottle 2 nitrate a good 5 minuets to give an accurate reading.
It would be nice to think that cycling is complete.
I am going to continue testing for a week before adding anything else to the tank just in case. When I get the prime I will test my tap water with that and see what results I get.
Thank you all again

Tap water tested after aquasafe treatment and left to stand for 12 hours + was
Ammonia 0.15-0.20
Nitrites 0
Nitrates between 20ppm and 40ppm
I have also ensured that I was shaking the bottle 2 nitrate a good 5 minuets to give an accurate reading.
It would be nice to think that cycling is complete.
I am going to continue testing for a week before adding anything else to the tank just in case. When I get the prime I will test my tap water with that and see what results I get.
Thank you all again

To test for no3 (nitrAtes) put 5ml water into tube, add 10 drops #1, invert capped tube and then uncap it. Shake bottle #2 for "30 seconds" and immediately add 10 drops to tube, cap tube and shake for "1 minute" then put it in holder. Set timer for "5 minutes" and immediately check color value against chart card.

Hold tube over white strip of card next to no3 chart and hold that combo up so a light shines on it. ONLY then will you get an accurate reading.

Mr. Limpet said:
To test for no3 (nitrAtes) put 5ml water into tube, add 10 drops #1, invert capped tube and then uncap it. Shake bottle #2 for "30 seconds" and immediately add 10 drops to tube, cap tube and shake for "1 minute" then put it in holder. Set timer for "5 minutes" and immediately check color value against chart card.

Hold tube over white strip of card next to no3 chart and hold that combo up so a light shines on it. ONLY then will you get an accurate reading.

I swear I'm gonna add that to my signature, lol. I've gotta upgrade my membership so I can fit it all in there....unless a mod wants to hook up Mr. Limpet and myself? Hahaha

Lol I read my message and didn't explain it very well sorry
what i did was treat the tap water, let it stand for 12 hours + then test it in the exact way you just described

I read on a website somewhere that it's the best way to test tap water accurately, and I did get results regarding nitrate reasonably accurate. Still don't explain why my water source reads ammonia when the suppliers website states none is present.

Lol I read my message and didn't explain it very well sorry
what i did was treat the tap water, let it stand for 12 hours + then test it in the exact way you just described

I read on a website somewhere that it's the best way to test tap water accurately, and I did get results regarding nitrate reasonably accurate. Still don't explain why my water source reads ammonia when the suppliers website states none is present.

Are you using Prime to cure your tap water? If the tap has chloramine in it, Prime will convert/bind it into ammo that is less toxic to fish, but bacteria can use and will still show up in tests like API.

Ummm when I went to my suppliers website it was to check for chloramine. And none were present in the water. I also read that if chloramine was present then some water conditioner require a double dose even though the don't state it, to effectively treat it.
I have not tested water treated with a double dose, maybe I should?

koz said:
Ummm when I went to my suppliers website it was to check for chloramine. And none were present in the water. I also read that if chloramine was present then some water conditioner require a double dose even though the don't state it, to effectively treat it.
I have not tested water treated with a double dose, maybe I should?

I am going to go to my lfs of which I am lucky to have 6 to choose from that are well within a 15 minuets drive away and get some prime

I have 6 LFS in my area and will get some prime soon

Back
Top Bottom