New tank filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callylynn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm waiting for my 20 gallon long acrylic tank to arrive. I currently have a 10 gallon. Should I start using the new filter in my 10 galling along with the existing filter to build up bacteria before setting up my new tank? Or would that be too much for the 10 gallon tank?

You can take some new filter media (that fits into the fits the filter for the new tank) and stuff it in with your existing filter. This will grow some bacteria on it that will help boost your cycle in the new tank.

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm new to the aquarium world, but really enjoy it and so do my daughters! So any help will be greatly appreciated so we have healthy and happy fish

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm new to the aquarium world, but really enjoy it and so do my daughters! So any help will be greatly appreciated so we have healthy and happy fish

Sounds fun! What do you have in the 10 gallon?

When you do get the new tank in, you still will have to cycle it, but good for you on thinking ahead ;)

Do you have a test kit so you can test your water levels?

My ten gallon is definitely overstocked so don't judge :) that is why we are getting a bigger tank. Right now we have

2 platys
2 glo fish ( I think that is what they are my daughter picked them out because one is pink and the other is green!)
1 fancy male guppy
2 baby male guppies
1 male beta
1 Pleco ( he is very small)
2 algae eaters ( one looks like a tiny catfish and the other is longer and skinny)

We had a ton of guppies and they kept having babies! I finally took all of the females out and back to the pet shop. My daughters just love all of our fish and we all love to watch them!

I just ordered a master test kit today. I've been using the strips but I do not think they are accurate. My tank is thriving and plants are growing. Our fish seem healthy and happy, but the strips always tell me the nitrite levels are really high. I've been doing water changes like crazy, but the strips still say they are high. I know it could be because of an overstocked tank, but I don't think ours is too bad. What do you think?

My ten gallon is definitely overstocked so don't judge :) that is why we are getting a bigger tank. Right now we have

2 platys
2 glo fish ( I think that is what they are my daughter picked them out because one is pink and the other is green!)
1 fancy male guppy
2 baby male guppies
1 male beta
1 Pleco ( he is very small)
2 algae eaters ( one looks like a tiny catfish and the other is longer and skinny)

We had a ton of guppies and they kept having babies! I finally took all of the females out and back to the pet shop. My daughters just love all of our fish and we all love to watch them!

I just ordered a master test kit today. I've been using the strips but I do not think they are accurate. My tank is thriving and plants are growing. Our fish seem healthy and happy, but the strips always tell me the nitrite levels are really high. I've been doing water changes like crazy, but the strips still say they are high. I know it could be because of an overstocked tank, but I don't think ours is too bad. What do you think?

Im no expert on stocking, but i won't judge :)
(Hopefully someone who is good with stocking can help you?)

So your plans are to transfer all the fish and plants to the 20 when you get it?

Personally i would leave the beta in the 10 ( he will be happy with a tank to himself ;)

And the rest of the fish sound good for a 20 gallon, although i would add more glowfish, because they enjoy having a group of friends.

I may be able to help identify the type of pleco, and the two algae eaters for you if you posted some pictures :)

Yes I plan to transfer everything to the new tank. Our beta is actually very friendly with this group of fish. We had a few fish before that he did not like at all! But we sent them to my sisters grandma's 55 gallon tank and he hasn't flared one time since then. My daughters picked out the spongebob decor and he lives in the squidward house. Lol he also spends a lot of time in the lily plants. Our house is pretty small so I'm only going to have one tank at this time. I'm going to save our 10 gallon for a quarantine tank in case we need it.

I added pics of the algae eaters. Our Pleco was hiding under the heater in the back and wasn't going anywhere!

Attachments

• image-2318342223.jpg
    image-2318342223.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image-527695709.jpg
    image-527695709.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 60
I should clarify that it is my sisters boyfriends grandma. Lol sounded weird to say my sisters grandma!

He decided to come out!

Attachments

• image-3250047135.jpg
    image-3250047135.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 55
Sorry the picture quality is so poor. I'm using my old iPad because my phone battery was dead and there is no flash

First picture is defiantly a Corey cat can't really see the second third looks like a common pelco my input

I agree, the first picture is a cory cat (green emerald corey?) and the pleco is showing strong signs of being a common pleco. (Those suckers can get huge)

The corey would probibly like a school of friends to swim around with (maybe 5-6 total?) because they are schooling fish. You will see a ton more personality come out with a school too :)

I think you are right. I looked up pictures of the emerald green Corey's and he looks very similar to them. I will try and find a few more for him when we make the switch! He is one of our favorites. The girls named him catty batty!

I think you are right. I looked up pictures of the emerald green Corey's and he looks very similar to them. I will try and find a few more for him when we make the switch! He is one of our favorites. The girls named him catty batty!

Yea I got them in both my tanks they follow my rams like a family

Do you have any suggestions for a small school? I think my girls would love to watch a school swimming around.

20 gallon long. It is acrylic so hopefully I like it!

Oo if you were getting a tall I would suggest green phantom tetras since they like to move up and down maybe u could look into some cardinal tetras they might work would defiantly get your Cory some buddies maybe have a school of six...maybe someone with more experience can help u if u want u can look up German blue ram theyare my twenty gallon center piece fish

Since you already have 2 glo fish I suggest getting another 3-4 of them and a few more cories as well. Both prefer being in groups.

I am not a huge fan of the glo fish. My girls picked them out and they are definitely my least favorite in the tank. I guess that could change if we get a few more and they swim together. I will have to see whAt our local pet store has after I get my new tank cycled. It is a pretty small locally owned store, but they carry quite a few different options.

Back
Top Bottom