Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New tank - fishless cycle but cloudy

I just got a 40 gallon breeder on Sunday, added the substrate and decorations (all thoroughly rinsed). On Monday, I filled the tank (well water) and added 4 cupfuls of Seachem stability along with setting up the filter and added a pinch of food. Tuesday, I added the heater and set it to 80 along with another pinch of food. I tested ammonia which read .25 and the pH which was 7.6. Everything seemed nice and clear and running well. Got home from work today and it is quite cloudy. Tested ammonia again along with nitrite and nitrate and all are reading 0.

I've read about cycling with fish food or ammonia and think maybe I need to go the ammonia route? Will that help with the cloudy water?

Old 02-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The cloudy water is from a bacterial bloom. Its part of the cycle and will go away. Don't worry about the tank. Being pretty and clean right now. Just let the tank do its thing.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
The cloudy water is from a bacterial bloom. Its part of the cycle and will go away. Don't worry about the tank. Being pretty and clean right now. Just let the tank do its thing.
Okay thank you for the reply. I'll let the tank run its course. Should I add ammonia or more fish food or just leave it as it for now?
Old 02-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You need to keep adding ammonia to the tank to keep growing the beneficial bacteria. Using food or ammonia is up to you. Which ever is easist for you.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #5

Perfect, thank you!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep your ammonia between 2-4 ppm when doing a fish less cycle. BB feeds off ammonia.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Keep your ammonia between 2-4 ppm when doing a fish less cycle. BB feeds off ammonia.
Ok thank you. I just tested it and ammonia is still low at .25 but it is only day 3. I might get some ammonia this weekend and try that instead of the fish food and see if that elevates the ammonia levels a bit more if it doesn't start to increase with the food.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The higher the ammonia the bigger the BB colony.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cycle, fish, fishless, fishless cycle, loud, new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com