New Tank Fishless Cycle Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peter1209

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
Ok so as I mentioned in some of my previous asking for help threads I am completely new to fish keeping. I dunno if this is the right place for this kind of post but I decided to document my complete cycle from start to finish with test results etc.

My equipment:
98 Litre tank
Prime
Ammonia solution (5% ammonia content, from Robert Dyers here in the UK)
150w heater (temps showing around 28c/82f)
Air bubble bar
All Pond Sollutions Aquarium External Filter 1000 L/H
API Master test kit

20/02/2013 - Completely new setup, added prime, tested all values to make sure everything as it should be:
PH - 8.2
Ammonia (NH3) - 0 ppm
Nitrite (NO2-) - 0 ppm
Nitrate (NO3-) - 0 ppm

With all results showing as they should (i think) I added ammonia and raised it up to 4ppm.

23/02/2013 - While I understand nothing should really have changed I wanted to test mainly for practice and check the PH levels and ammonia. I did also add a very small amount of fish food.
PH - 8.2
Ammonia (NH3) - 3 ppm
Nitrite (NO2-) - 0 ppm
Nitrate (NO3-) - 0 ppm

Someone correct me if im wrong but as far as i can tell the results are to be be expected, hopefully in the next 3-4 days I should start to see an increase in Nitrites and a drop in ammonia.

Nothing to exciting so far but will update with each test etc, any advice is always welcome

Your doing everything right. How much live rock do you have in the tank?

@apet66: probably no live rock as it's freshwater :)

@peter1209: starting a cycling journal is great. Don't be discouraged if things move a little slowly. It can take 1-2 weeks on average to see ammonia drop and then nitrites show up typically in weeks 3-4 but every tank is different. Sounds like you're doing everything right so far. If the heater is adjustable you can crank it up a bit more to about 86F but what you have now is fine too. Good luck and keep us posted.

@apet66: probably no live rock as it's freshwater :)

@peter1209: starting a cycling journal is great. Don't be discouraged if things move a little slowly. It can take 1-2 weeks on average to see ammonia drop and then nitrites show up typically in weeks 3-4 but every tank is different. Sounds like you're doing everything right so far. If the heater is adjustable you can crank it up a bit more to about 86F but what you have now is fine too. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oops, not sure what made me think salt water. Nice catch.

LOL i was like live rock, what the hell is live rock, that something else I need to go out and get.
My heater is adjustable, although it is set to 30c I can put it up to about 34 I think. I've actually order a new tank, 250 litre, which will be ready in a couple of weeks, as I understand it i'm gonna complete the cycle in this current tank and transfer everything to the new tank once complete, of course as well I'll monitor the new tank for a period of time before adding fish to make sure all is ok.

Lol, I'm only on my first cup of coffee. Your doing everything right so far. Pictures would be nice. We love looking at other peoples tanks!
:p

26/02/2013 - I only checked the PH and Ammonia levels today:
PH - 8.2
Ammonia (NH3) - 1 ppm
Nitrite (NO2-) - N/A
Nitrate (NO3-) - N/A

Boosted the ammonia back up to 4ppm.

28/02/2013 - Tested ph, ammonia and nitrite just to see if anything is showing,
PH - 8.2
Ammonia (NH3) - 3 ppm
Nitrite (NO2-) - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate (NO3-) - 0 ppm

[moderator edit] I seen the purple colour come through on the nitrite test, very exciting stuff, i know this has actually been produced by bacteria in tank as my starting water had no traces of nitrite at all. I guess I have to start keeping a closer eye on things now and refresh myself with cycle steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and regards to pictures I will get some posted when I pickup my new 250L tank on tuesday. I decided that 90ish liter tank just didnt cut it and ordered a 250L from a tank maker here in the UK. I'm going to complete the cycle in the orig tank for now and then just transfer it all over once done or should I change it over when/if say I need to do a large water change during the cycle. I know I need to do a 90% water change at the end of the cycle before adding fish to bring the nitrates right down, i was going to do the changeover then.

Oh and regards to pictures I will get some posted when I pickup my new 250L tank on tuesday. I decided that 90ish liter tank just didnt cut it and ordered a 250L from a tank maker here in the UK. I'm going to complete the cycle in the orig tank for now and then just transfer it all over once done or should I change it over when/if say I need to do a large water change during the cycle. I know I need to do a 90% water change at the end of the cycle before adding fish to bring the nitrates right down, i was going to do the changeover then.

When you change over it will stir up your sandbed and release any stored nitrates and cause a spike. If your planning on moving everything, I would do it as soon as possible. Then finish the cycle in the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom