new tank for a betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davy 1983

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello, iv just bought a iqube 3 for a betta fish that iv on order, iv set the up the tank with a heater on 28 degrees and treated the water, im going to put live plants in there also, the guy at local dealers said to add the plants when i add the betta, it'll be about a week an a half before i put them in but is this long enough for the tank to establish itself??il be checking the water levels before but would just like any tips somone could give me as am very new to this but keen many thanks

thank you very useful info there for me, im heading to the shop today to grab a proper water testing kit, and hopefully get my betta to start the fish in cycle, il post on here how i get on, many thanks

thank you very useful info there for me, im heading to the shop today to grab a proper water testing kit, and hopefully get my betta to start the fish in cycle, il post on here how i get on, many thanks

no luck today shop was closed haha, will go 2moz, and get photos up for sure, will the betta be ok if i add plants at same time?, dont want to make the water all murky for him?

It shouldn't make the water murky adding the plants. My betta loves swimming around in the leaves

I have Indian fern, crypts and limnophillia sessiflora in my tank for him

wow ur tank looks quality, iv got a iqube 3 which i think is 8l, the chap at the shop said betta dont like big tanks an the one iv bought is perfect for one, but now it looks tiny compared to urs, looks like il be investing in a bigger tank again haha, also need a bigger tank for when my black moors out grow there tank, expensive hobbie iv gotton into haha

Thanks! It's a 12/15 gal I think. I had it spare and fell in love with everyone's betta's on here and just had to get one.
He loves the space and swims all over! He does like to scare me by sleeping against the filter as if he's playing dead!

Here's a close up of my Mr Grumpy!
He's got a bit of fin issues which we are working on but he has a lovely calm temperament (despite his name!)

he looks brilliant, what up with his fins then? he looks really healthy, also do u have a proper water testing kit? iv only got the tetra 6 in 1 tests, should i get a better kit to test the exact amount of no3 no2 and ph levels before adding my betta

Thanks i think hes gorgeous too!! I use an api master freshwater kit.
I'll add a pic of him when I got him, his fins are a bit stuck together on the ends. I'm hoping he goes back to normal soon :)

cant wait to 2morrow to get my betta am gona test the water with the test i have if its ok il bring him home, and add him and my plants if not il go get a test kit like urs keep testing untill its ok for him

It should be fine for him. If its heated to the correct temp and dechlorinated your go to add him. 8L isn't the biggest tank. I have a 9L Betta tank. It's going to build ammonia quicker than a bigger tank. I would test the water morning and night and change water as needed ( ammonia or nitrite at or over .25ppm). After the cycle is complete do water changes 2x a week because nitrates will rise fast.

its a light thats attached to the tank, which is a iqube 3, its a LED light can find out more when i get home il post what it says on it, was told it would be fine for plants but may of been told rubbish at the store, il let u know

yea its heated to 28 degrees is that ok for him? also how many drops of water teatment do u add to ur 9l tank? on my tetra bottle it says 5ml every 10l but no way of telling how much 5ml is! is it each drop that comes out the bottle?

davy 1983 said:
its a light thats attached to the tank, which is a iqube 3, its a LED light can find out more when i get home il post what it says on it, was told it would be fine for plants but may of been told rubbish at the store, il let u know

It's probably just enough to grow anubias and moss.

Back
Top Bottom