new tank going nuts..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonnytree23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive had my tank for about a month now my ammonia reads lower than .25 and my nitrite is 2ppm. Ive been doing large to small water changes daily sometimes 2 in a day. But after another day or so it goes back up tg o normal. My filter cartdriges were new a month ago. I also have live plant a oscar and two pictus catfish. Everybody looks great and bright colors and eating just fine. Also I was told stop doing water changes just once a week 30% because ive been adding new water and restarting the cyle so I been told is this right. I also use prime ammonia remover and nitrite detoxification. Please help thanks

What kind of test kit are you using; liquid or strips? Nitrites can last for 3 wks so keep testing & try to do the same minimum volume water change each time, I always do a minimum of 50%. Water changes do NOT restart your cycle, it can take longer for the cycle to complete but it doesn't stop the process. I'm currently fish in cycling a 10g tank with 1 male Betta, I had nitrites for a week straight, daily water changes averaging 70%, then none, yesterday they were back, today gone again. Keep testing daily, if nitrites or ammonia are >.25 do a 50%+ water change. It can take 8 wks to complete a fish IN cycle.

Ive had my tank for about a month now my ammonia reads lower than .25 and my nitrite is 2ppm. Ive been doing large to small water changes daily sometimes 2 in a day. But after another day or so it goes back up tg o normal. My filter cartdriges were new a month ago. I also have live plant a oscar and two pictus catfish. Everybody looks great and bright colors and eating just fine. Also I was told stop doing water changes just once a week 30% because ive been adding new water and restarting the cyle so I been told is this right. I also use prime ammonia remover and nitrite detoxification. Please help thanks

So your doing a fish in cycle, you need to do water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites at a manageable and safe level.

I wouldn't stop doing water changes while having nitrites and ammonia present in your tank. Don't mess with your filters either,let them built up your beneficial bacteria.

Its a 55 gallon and a 75 aqueon filter and a hush 20 gallon filter so do I keep doing 50% water changes everyday until the nitrites are gone?

I also us api freshwater master test kit. And Im using prime ammonia removal with nitrite detoxify could that be why the fish look so good and healthy?

I also us api freshwater master test kit. And Im using prime ammonia removal with nitrite detoxify could that be why the fish look so good and healthy?

Prime doesn't remove ammonia just so you know. It converts it to a safe non toxic form that is readily removed by your filter. It removes chlorine and chloramine.

I do have a api freshwater kit. Now quik question why do 50% water changes when if I test everyday and my nitrites are high I use one capful of the prime wouldnt in time the filters will be able to solve the problem once they get enough bacteria? Just wondering

Your fish are going to love the water changes. Once your cycled and your filter has established BB things will settle down.

Should I do a 50% or a 30% on a 55 gallon if the reading is 2ppm nitrites and 0 ammonia and 20ppm nitrates?

Sorry if im asking dumb questions this cycling is killing me

No question is dumb. It's good to ask questions and ask as many as you want! This forum is like a family. We treat people with respect. Your questions are always welcomed.

Better to ask and be sure right?! You'll be just fine (y)

Should I do a 50% or a 30% on a 55 gallon if the reading is 2ppm nitrites and 0 ammonia and 20ppm nitrates?

Nitrites are dangerous to your fish. If your nitrites are at 2 a 50% should bring it down to one, I would do more like a 70-80% today. Prime only works to a certain level so it would keep the lower amount of nitrites detoxed until tomorrow. Test tomorrow then do a water change depending on your test results. Fish in cycling can be very frustrating but it will end . . . eventually. :)

Sorry of you've answered this before but have you tested your tap water? You may want to to see where you're starting from. Some tap has ammo, nitrites or nitrates.

Okay both of u said a different answer lol so I guess ill have to do a 50% water change in the mourning thanks

Back
Top Bottom