New Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rilock4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on getting a 20 gallon tank and I want to transfer the fish in my 10 gallon tank to the 20. I am going to do a fish less cycle on the 20, but I was wondering how should I transfer the fish after the tank is cycled. Should it be a few at a time or can I transfer them all at once?

I plan on getting a 20 gallon tank and I want to transfer the fish in my 10 gallon tank to the 20. I am going to do a fish less cycle on the 20, but I was wondering how should I transfer the fish after the tank is cycled. Should it be a few at a time or can I transfer them all at once?

You can transfer them all over now so long as you don't clean the filter- just take the fish out and put in a bucket. Transfer the gravel, ornaments, heater and filter and add treated water. When the temp in the tank matches the temp in the bucket, transfer the fish.

By not washing your gravel and filter you will be able to save most of your BB. Just feed very lightly for a couple of days and keep the light off for a few hours.

That's what I will be doing :)

What heater would be recommended as I currently do not have one in my 10 gallon tank?

What heater would be recommended as I currently do not have one in my 10 gallon tank?

As good a quality as your budget will allow. Faulty heaters are the stuff of my nightmares! Stay well clear of the cheap junk coming from China (eg on eBay)
I've been gradually upgrading all mine to eheims, but others here will be able to recommend good brands also.

Actually I had a change of plans and got a great deal on a 38 gallon tank at the lfs. I currently have glofish and cory catfish. I am thinking of adding some neon tetras in the future, but that is not a definite. I also, have two ferns

Actually I had a change of plans and got a great deal on a 38 gallon tank at the lfs. I currently have glofish and cory catfish. I am thinking of adding some neon tetras in the future, but that is not a definite. I also, have two ferns

A 38 is even better! :)
You'll have to make sure you increase the temperature very slowly- no more than a degree each day. I've never heard of cories being kept in cold water.

A 38 is even better! :)
You'll have to make sure you increase the temperature very slowly- no more than a degree each day. I've never heard of cories being kept in cold water.

The temp stays 75 degrees. At first I thought the thermostat was broken since the temp wasn't fluctuating, so I got a different thermostat and it was reading the same.

Also, speaking of thermostats should I place it near the bottom or top off the tank, I'm not really sure if that will make a difference in a tank with more gallons.

The temp stays 75 degrees. At first I thought the thermostat was broken since the temp wasn't fluctuating, so I got a different thermostat and it was reading the same.

I'm confused- didn't you say you don't have a heater? I have trouble keeping my temps that stable even using a heater! Lol.
But in any case, that's too cool for most tropical fish- their immunity will be compromised.

That's right I don't have a heater. What it's the temp suppose to be for tropical fish. I just thought 75 was a good temp. From what the glofish website recommended.

That's right I don't have a heater. What it's the temp suppose to be for tropical fish. I just thought 75 was a good temp. From what the glofish website recommended.

It depends on the type of Cory. I keep mine at 79 as thats the temp that my fish do well in. Pandas like it cooler, but I didn't find that out until AFTER he was added to the tank.

If your fish have adapted to that temp, that's fine. It will only matter when it comes to adding new fish.

Actually 75 is good for a great many tropical fish. A lot of corys will do very well at 75. However different fish have different needs. Do your research before buying. Doing a web search on the common or scientific name should give you several articles of just about any aquarium species and their needs. There are some corys that should be kept even cooler than 75. Also check if the fish you are buying are tank raised or wild. Many species that could only be gotten wild a few years ago are now being tank raised. Tank raised are generally more tolerant of a wider temp range.

Actually 75 is good for a great many tropical fish. A lot of corys will do very well at 75. However different fish have different needs. Do your research before buying. Doing a web search on the common or scientific name should give you several articles of just about any aquarium species and their needs. There are some corys that should be kept even cooler than 75. Also check if the fish you are buying are tank raised or wild. Many species that could only be gotten wild a few years ago are now being tank raised. Tank raised are generally more tolerant of a wider temp range.

Thanks for the info. I just ask the lfs or do I try and find out online where they where raised?

Just ask your LFS. They should know the source of the fish. So far none of the fish I've wanted to buy are wild caught.

Also, speaking of thermostats should I place it near the bottom or top off the tank, I'm not really sure if that will make a difference in a tank with more gallons.

If you get a submersible heater, then I would place it horizontally near the bottom if the tank (but not AT the bottom). I honestly couldn't say if this will make a huge difference, but IMO they're easier to hide this way.

Back
Top Bottom