New tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's why I don't think bb need very much more than above 0 ammonia to grow. Especially as a cycled tank will show as 0.

I've noticed neons look sulky at about ph of 7.5 and ammonia of 1 so I think sometimes we are dealing with averages. On average something may be fine but eg you may have sensitive fish.

What he said. But minimum of 4 weeks IMO. I've had fish that looked wonderful one day, wipe out the tank the next.

Glad to hear that things are going well!

Agreed at the minimum of 4 weeks. That camallanus worm is a nasty bugger.

@ Winstonsmith,

When you decide to move up to a large tank, you can use your 10g as a QT tank for most smaller fish as long as you don't over stock it. This gives you a chance to make sure they are healthy before putting them in your main tank and wiping it out.

What I do is keep a filter going on a main tank so that it's already seeded. You don't need gravel or anything in the QT tank. Maybe a few small flower pots or something for the fish to hide in so they feel safe. Move the filter to the QT tank and let it go. Keep the water clean, like you're doing now ;) Watch the fish for any signs of disease, treat as needed.

HN1 and I are on the same page about doing a long QT time. Some of the nasties take a longer time for the fish to show symptoms and are harder to get rid of, like the camallanus worm. Also, it's easier to treat a QT tank than a larger, fuller tank.

Well if BB can live that long will we need to wait between adding fish if the tank is fishless cycled? I know that initially you can fully stock it, but some people don't fully stock it at first. In that case, could they just stock it whenever, within 3 months?

I still like a more gradual stocking. I think you can stock a lot up front as it is fully cycled but stocking the last lot allows the tank to mature for sensitive fish and you can see how the stocking is going (cichlids excepted I guess).

Well if BB can live that long will we need to wait between adding fish if the tank is fishless cycled? I know that initially you can fully stock it, but some people don't fully stock it at first. In that case, could they just stock it whenever, within 3 months?

Well 3 months was the length of time they studied for. It could well have been longer. The interesting thing is, is that the BB consumed the fresh ammonia within 24 hours. Bacteria are pretty good at surviving I'd be surprised if they just died all at once.

I personally think 4ppm is too much for a fishless. What's the point if you are going to stock slowly anyway?

Agreed at the minimum of 4 weeks. That camallanus worm is a nasty bugger.

@ Winstonsmith,

When you decide to move up to a large tank, you can use your 10g as a QT tank for most smaller fish as long as you don't over stock it. This gives you a chance to make sure they are healthy before putting them in your main tank and wiping it out.

What I do is keep a filter going on a main tank so that it's already seeded. You don't need gravel or anything in the QT tank. Maybe a few small flower pots or something for the fish to hide in so they feel safe. Move the filter to the QT tank and let it go. Keep the water clean, like you're doing now ;) Watch the fish for any signs of disease, treat as needed.

HN1 and I are on the same page about doing a long QT time. Some of the nasties take a longer time for the fish to show symptoms and are harder to get rid of, like the camallanus worm. Also, it's easier to treat a QT tank than a larger, fuller tank.

4 weeks it is then. I'm gonna go invest in a 10 gal. Yes it is expensive treating the full tank. Ordered meds from US at double the price. There's not going to be enough to do a full course on the main tank :(

Lol sorry that was not for meds. The meds Ill be using is API triple sulfa. Get it on eBay

Interesting anyways :) The triple sulfa I can get here and seemed to make a difference. Reviews I have read seemed favourable but I did wonder if replaced by better products now.

Back
Top Bottom