New tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winstonsmith84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10g tank. It's slightly overstocked and not cycled.

4 mollies (1-2 inches)
1 pleco

I didn't learn about cycling prior to getting fish (yes did not do enough due diligence, but here we are). Was led to believe by lfs that running for a week with some fish flakes would work. I know better now. (Didn't really trust him to begin with. Have found a better one since).

I've learned a ton over the past two weeks and realize fish in cycles aren't the norm here. But here I am.

I have ammonia spikes and have been doing w/c's at least twice a day. There was a major spike of ammonia of 4 several days ago. Several water changes later I brought it down to .25-.5. Since then I've found out feeding is probably an issue since my daughter wanted to feed twice a day and fed too much. I've since backed off to about once every day and a half. And less than what we were giving twice a day.

I've gotten rid of much of the detritus in the substrate since my last cleaning didn't produce much.

I'm doing everything I can to keep ammonia levels down and researched that tetra safe start is a good bacterial product to help kick start the process.

My question really is: if I'm spiked at 1-2 ppm ammonia is it more beneficial to do a w/c and then add de-chlorinator, or add the TSS and help kick start the system to start working. The fish seem to be ok at these levels of ammonia but I'm trying to lessen the stress on them as best I can. (I realize above .5 is not healthy).

They're all interacting although I've noticed one female is constantly chasing one of the other other females (oh, two males, two females. I didn't know how to tell the difference until I started to see who was trying to "tag" whom).

So, does anyone have experienced with TSS and whether it will work to aid in rei omg ammonia over 1? I've read that I should NOT do another w/c due to the fact the dechlorinator will screw up the newly introduced bacteria. I've also read that TSS includes ammonia to help their bacteria survive and could give false ammonia readings. I added a small amount earlier.

I can't type anymore as this is my 3rd time trying to post. I'm trying to do the right things by the fish I have in the tank without causing any more stress (new lfs guy told me water changes also stress them out. I do notice a difference for a short period of time after. Slight listlessness. True/false?)

Ok. Thanks for any input.

Oh, also I've looked into the ammonia calculations for the "toxic ammonia" and come up under their toxicity readings based on my temp & ph levels. If it's any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. I don't have any experience with tetra safe start. Bacteria in a bottle doesn't contain the nitrifying bacteria we need. At best it contains some nutrients and minerals for the existing bacteria. In my honest opinion bacteria in a bottle are just another money making scam. All you need is a dechlorinator.

Seachem prime is an all in one product that dechlorinates and detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 24-48 hours. Although toxins still show on the API test kit. I would recommend prime as a temporary fix if parameters get out of control. Otherwise continue with water changes.

It's good that you understand the ammonia toxicity chart and that you are in the green. But you should try to keep ammonia around 0.25ppm. Elevated levels of ammonia means elevated levels of nitrite. Nitrites reduces the fishes blood cells ability to carry oxygen and should be kept under control. Nitrite toxicity is dependent on species and size of fish but water should be changed when you test a positive reading.

Again you can use prime to detoxify the water. Changing too much water during a cycle will make it take longer as you are roving the food source that the bacteria need however, elevated levels are not good for your fish so you need to find the balance. Keep checking the water parameters.

Hi and welcome! When ammonia gets over .25, do a water change (or more than one) to get it back down. I wouldn't trust the bacteria in a bottle products. With fish-in cycles, your first priority are the fish. Youll have a difficult time with those fish in a 10 gal though; a 10 gal with 4 mollies is already at capacity---with a pleco it's massively overstocked. Plecos have a high bioload and get very large; also the fish could be stunted if left in too small a tank when trying to grow. You'll really need to either upgrade to a larger tank (larger volume of water helps dissipate toxins as well) or get rid of the pleco. Here are two guides if you haven't seen them already:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

IMO a ten gallon with 3 mollies is already overstocked. And if you are having trouble with the app, you can go to the website ;). www.aquariumadvice.com

You really should return all of those fish, they won't work in your tank anyway. Then you could go fishless if that's what you prefer. It'll be quicker now that you already started.

As far as the water changes causing stress goes, that isn't really that helpful. Sure it stresses them out, but it is necessary when your levels are bad. Ammonia or nitrite over .25 ppm, or nitrate over 30 ppm is basically the threshold for stress.

I don't really understand what else you are asking, sorry. :hide:
If you are just wanting feedback on your cycle, then I guess it's going fine just keep ammonia and nitrite down to where I said.

:welcome:!

Okay. I was hoping the safe start would help. 50% water change when I get home. How long after the water change would u recommend testing again. And then if another water change is needed will that bother the fish?

I have plans to get another tank in the near future not to stunt these guys. Thanks for all the responses.

I'll give my opinion didn't read it all or the comments but when I first started out I did a fish in during cycle as I wasn't told any better ... Long story.. But for with my happening mollies went through the cycle and all and only one passed away. They handle a lot really well. When unlearned about cycle I was three weeks in and started more frequent changes and stuff like that but that's really all I have to say. No it's not much help but mine all survived trough a cycling except one. Good luck!!

One of the best things you can get when cycling a tank is some bb. If you have a friend who is into tanks or is you join a forum in your area, ask for some from someone. It could just be a small cup of old gravel, a swish of filter media. That goes a long way.

I will give you my cycling story using Tetra Safestart:

I was fishless cycling for 2 weeks and got impatient(1st aquarium). Ammonia was at 2ppm and decided to do a pwc to get ammonia down to 1ppm. I added a bottle of Tetra Safestart and 24 hours later my numbers were .25-0-10. I added a full stocking of fish over 2.5 weeks and never had a problem. I did have a mini cycle but do to being under-filtered. No fish died and colors are vibrant for 2.5 months now.

Ive used seachem stability as well with much success. I would say get started on something like that

Ok just did 50-60% wc. Gonna test ammonia in an hour and see where it's at. If still over 1 I'll do another wc. Everyone seems to doing ok ATM. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390672201.578974.jpg

Any other advice is definitely welcome.

Jc

I'm glad that some of you had success with bacteria in a bottle products but they don't always work. In fact most of the time they don't. I guess you can try it OP, but it probably won't help.

I'll give my opinion didn't read it all or the comments but when I first started out I did a fish in during cycle as I wasn't told any better ... Long story.. But for with my happening mollies went through the cycle and all and only one passed away. They handle a lot really well. When unlearned about cycle I was three weeks in and started more frequent changes and stuff like that but that's really all I have to say. No it's not much help but mine all survived trough a cycling except one. Good luck!!

I'm glad your fish survived but their lifespan may have been shortened due to the toxins they have endured. :(

That's possible but they're still going and having babies so I may have got luky but probaby don't have much longer :( live and learn I guess. I feel horrible but now I know

That's possible but they're still going and having babies so I may have got luky but probaby don't have much longer :( live and learn I guess. I feel horrible but now I know

Didn't mean to make you feel horrible but just letting you know. Hopefully they will be ok. :)

Ok back to my tank :) I tested levels for ammonia. Still high. I just did another 30% wc. Will test again shortly. Luckily haven't lost anyone yet. Actually my pleco came out for the first time in days and was enjoying some time on the drift wood. First time in several days. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390695034.945486.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390695162.724241.jpg

Ok. Here are my results. Ammonia levels down since this morning. Plan on one more wc before bed. Btw I haven't fed all day. Last feeding was yesterday. Should I feed tonight or tomorrow morning? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390696908.733077.jpg

Yes I realize the level is still high. Working on getting back to a .25.

Thanks.

Tell me your not cleaning filters in tap water. That's a big no no. All the bacteria will be gone. Should wash filter media in a bucket of old tank water. But ammonia... I think at this long ou may well need to use some of those chemicals. I personally don't but it may be best for them..

Back
Top Bottom