New Tank Help- Compatibility Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcrockva

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently set up a 30 gallon tank, and I currently have one Opaline Gourami, one Banded Leporinus, and a Red-Tailed Shark. The current fish get along so well and I have had no problems, but I want to add one more fish. I want to get a fish that won't disrupt the tank and cause problems, but can hold its own against the Gourami and the Leporinus. Any advice on compatible species would be great. Thanks

Welcome to AA!

Before you even consider adding any more fish, you need to take a look at your current stocking. Red Tailed Sharks get to be about 6" and very active swimmers. Most places recommend no smaller than a 55g tank. The Leporinus will get monsterous. You need a 100+ gallon system for it. I would either return or rehome the shark and the leporinus before you plan anything else.

Yea I was recently given a 75 gallon tank by a friend who moved, and i was going to relocate them when they got larger. I just wanted to start with my 30 gallon. They are currently only about 2 inches long each. Would you not recommend adding anything while they are this small? Should i upgrade now, or can I wait for them to become larger? Thanks for the welcome and the advice by the way.

I would upgrade to the new 75 gallon as soon as you can. Even though they are small, I still wont add anything until the Red-tail and Leporinus are out and into a bigger aquarium.

Ok thanks, I will upgrade now. Its going to take me a week or so to get it all set up and get everything i need, but when i do what would you guys say would be ok to put with the two headed for the large tank. Also what goes best with the Gourami that will be alone in the small tank.

Back
Top Bottom